Chapter 19- Before the Dance

As Nicole pulls her red mini cooper into her usual parking spot in the school's lot, memories from last week settle uneasily in her mind. It's been a week since her and Benedict earnestly conversed their unforgettable pasts with each other; a week since Martin unfortunately discovered their concealed relationship; and a week since a second note came into her possession. So much has happened within such a short time span, and she knows more is yet to come. Homecoming is only a day away, and it is almost certain drama will follow along with it.

Sitting in her car, she looks out the passenger window and sees Amanda standing there at her usual arrival time. She reaches over and unlocks the door for her to get in.

Amanda plops onto the seat with a joyous spring. "I'm so excited! Dylan is definitely going to ask me to homecoming today in class. I just know it!"

Nicole scrunches her face together. "Eh, I don't know. I've noticed he's been talking to Serena lately. They seem to be looking like a couple if you ask me."

There's a slight change of reaction upon Amanda's face as she turns to look out the window. Nicole knows those were words she did not want to hear at the time, but she only wants to be honest with her to spare her feelings later on. She has been stressing the entire week about not having a date to homecoming and has been taking it out on nearly everyone. Especially on Kevin, for no apparent reason whatsoever. Plus, the both of them have already gone dress shopping and picked out dresses so now she thinks if she doesn't have a date she can't go, even though Nicole has tried to convince her otherwise.

"Well, I think you're wrong," she pleads unconvincingly, but enough to cheer herself up.

"Do you mind if I change the subject?" Nicole asks hoping she will agree.

"Yeah, sure. Why?" Her face lights up. "Oh! Is it about Benedict, Aka, Mr. Sexybatch? If it is tell me everything!"

Nicole laughs as she recalls Mr. Sexybatch had been their code name for him when she snuck into his classroom to fix the name on her test. "Yes, it is about him." She changes her tone of voice. "But, it's actually more on the serious side of things."

Amanda's eyes widen. "Oh, okay. I guess I'll let you explain what you need to then."

"Last weekend, he invited me to his apartment." She glances at Amanda for a reaction, but she remains still and so she continues. "We were kissing on his couch, and an old friend of his named Martin came in and caught us red handed."

Amanda gasps and Nicole nods her head. "But, wait. It gets more interesting. After minutes of Martin angrily shrieking at us both, Benedict stood up and said that he wasn't going to stop seeing me... well, because he loved me."

After moments of silence, Amanda begins to say something, but stops to reconsider her answer. This happens a few more times until a new question stumbles out of her mouth. She looks concerned yet sympathetic. "Nicole... do you love him?"

Nicole's face goes expressionless and she sits on the leather seat of her car unable to move. "It- it's way too early in our relationship to be feeling love, isn't it?" She stutters.

"Nice try, but you still didn't answer my question." Amanda repeats herself again, this time with more demand. "Do you love him?"

Nicole searches her mind inside and out, but is left with nothing. "I- I... don't know."

Amanda seems unsatisfied with her answer. She sighs. "I've known you for so long and I'm also your best friend, and I can tell when you're truly happy. And you are now, with him. He makes you happy. Whether you think things are moving too fast with him or you're still unsure of how you feel, pay attention to how you are when you're around him. Search deep within yourself, and then, maybe you'll know."