Chapter 9- It's all Unclear

*Recap*

"AMANDA I CANT BELIEVE YOU DID THAT. HE'S MY TEACHER."

"He gave you his number for a reason, he obviously wanted you to text him," Amanda says.

"Yes, if I was in trouble or something! Not to just have a 'chat', have you completely lost your mind?!"

All of a sudden, Nicole's phone beeps showing she has a new message. Both girls stop yelling and look at each other.

Nicole says in shock, "He responded."

"Read it! Read it! What does it say??" Amanda asks anxiously.

Nicole turns her screen to show Amanda the message,

*

Message received from 567-243-8800:

Nicole, I wasn't expecting to hear from you right away... is everything alright? Are you okay?

- BenC

*

"What do I say now, what should I say to him?!" Nicole asks Amanda frantically.

"Uh, I don't know... I didn't think he was actually going to respond," Amanda says dimwittedly. 

Nicole grunts and throws a pillow off the couch attempting to hit her. Amanda had gotten her into this mess in the first place. This was all her fault. Nicole knew she shouldn't have let herself get pressured into going to that stupid bar.

"It's getting late, I think you should probably get home," Nicole says in such a tone that Amanda was not going to try to refuse. 

"I guess I'll see you at school tomorrow," Amanda sighs while picking up her expensive looking jacket and purse. "Please, try not to stay mad at me forever."

Once she closes the front door behind her, Nicole stares back down at her phone screen blankly.

Should I tell him Amanda sent this message...? No, he might get angry thinking that someone else got a hold of his phone number. Could I mention the hate note that had been put inside my locker...? No, it might freak him out if he knew someone thought we had an on going relationship.

Nicole spends nearly a good 5 minutes trying to come up with answer before she realizes she has an incoming call. The vibration of the phone scares her and she throws it out of her hands. She looks at the number on the phone laying in front of her and sees 567-243-8800.

"It's him, he's calling me!!" Her body screams from inside.

She takes a deep breath, clears her throat, and answers.

"H-hello?" An unexpected raspy voice exits from her mouth.

"Hello darling, this is Bene- Mr. Cumberbatch. I was calling to make sure everything was alright."

His voice sounds even deeper over the phone, and it takes Nicole by surprise. She stutters a bit trying to get the next phrase out.

"Oh, yes, yes, everything is fine. Everything is A-Okay. All good, absolutely no problem here. So, how are you?" Nicole smashes her palm into her face after hearing what she had just said.

A subtle laugh comes through the other end of the phone, "That's excellent to hear. I'm swell, thanks for asking."

Why is he always this way? Why is he always so nice even after how weird I am, Nicole thinks to herself.