Chapter Seven

I didn't sleep, I felt like I needed to desperately. Even when I had officialize that I was going to stay up, I had to attempt to sleep. And I tried and tried. I'd close my eyes, calm my nerves and my mind. Same result, nothing. Still awake. Could it be that I couldn't let that image of chopped up people out of my mind? Very likely!

My aunt left already to work. She only had around five hours of sleep and bam! Back to work. I know it's bad for her at her age, seventy-two to be exact. Her boss knew she overworked, knew it was bad for her, but he let her. And she'll take advantage of that.
The car ride to the warehouse was stressful and energy consuming. As if there even was energy left.

Work. I worked as an assistant helper for a warehouse of tractors and wood supply. Many companies in the area relied on us. Honestly, it wasn't hard of a job. Just bring materials, complete mini tasks here and there. I just had to be loyal and complete the task given and I was to be paid every Thursday of the week. Just from 7 AM to 2 AM is my shift.  And I made no complaints. I'm a twenty-year-old adult, I have responsibilities, and I need a job. I know at this age I could be in college, getting a degree, seeking success for my future. However, unlike the majority, I was going to be something without another couple years of school. Anyways, my aunt wanted me to be home than  somewhere far. She wanted some type of family around. So it had to be me: her niece. And so, I worked 'till I was driving home.

I flopped on the couch and without out another breath, closed my eyes. Oh how I needed sleep. I had stayed up since 10 PM last night and ran from that damned police then deal with Auntie than work a solid seven hours. Wonderful! (Note the sarcasm :/)

This time I slept. Slept until six PM. Oh how a couch feels like a rich cloud when your sleep deprived and to just want to stay there forever.

I felt something prick me, I stirred uneasily as I felt another one at my bare arm. Then another. I groaned and opened my tired eyes, even after hours of sleep I was still tired.

"What the hell?" I mumbled turning my head to look at the other occupant in the living room. "What the hell, Toby."

He chuckled and lied horizontal on the other couch and threw something towards me. I shifted and out of my shitty luck, I felt the thing prick me in the cheek. I cursed and darted a glare at Toby, who chuckled and was about the throw another one. I looked at whatever had pricked me. A toothpick. "What are you doing here?"

"Bored, plus the p-police are in the house," he answered, taking off his goggles and resting them on his stomach. His mouth guard was already around his neck. Toby smiling and placed his arms behind his head and his feet up onto the armrest.

"What house?"

"One b-back in the woods, " he twitched a bit as he replied.

I nodded, taking in the information. "Also," he glared at me and smiled. "There's s-someone you'll need to t-take out for me."

"Wait-! What! You never said anything about-!"

He interrupted, "Shh! The witch is s-sleeping upstairs," he chuckled.

"You never said I would have to punch someone's ticket!" I said in a whisper type of yell.

"Either the witch goes o-or the someone goes."

Oi, you lil' shit. I sighed, "She's the only family I got for now and is keeping the bills paid. Might as well keep her ass alive."

"See, there's the e-e-enthusiasm I'm looking for!" Toby chirped as he reached into his bag. "Here, hope you know how to use I-it," he tossed over an object.

I caught the gun and felt the unknown pressure of holding it. Toby went back to his relaxed stage and I scanned the gun. Taking in every detail exposed. I never used a gun before, my parents have, they were great hunters in these woods. Toby spaced out and fiddled with a toothpick.

I admired the gun. It had this pressure to it that settled on your chest. It felt like power. Like I could do something. Then an idea struck. Toby. He wasn't paying attention. I hid my smirk as I gradually aimed the small revolver at him. And I pulled the trigger, well not fully, like it was stuck.

"It's on safety and no ammo, you idiot," Toby advised as he kept fiddling with the toothpick.

"Dammit," I mumbled.

"I'll have to t-teach you, I g-guess. It ain't my specialty."

"Why am I doing this?" I murmured.

"'Cause, the future is bulletproof, aftermath is secondary!" Toby phrased out of nowhere. Did he- Did he just quote My Chemical Romance? Anyway, this was still as confusing. Everything is confusing.

(Good night!)