Chapter 14

Mel's POV

I look to Ella from where I am standing behind everyone as Sophia wheels her out with Jackson by her side. It's been a few days since she woke. The doctor's said everything was normal and that she may or may not ride ever again. With how well I know the child, I know as soon as she can walk on her own again she will be on Zeus riding.

She's a fighter. Just like her mother was and is not going to give riding up this easily. Jackson glances back at me when he feels my gaze on him. I look to Bryant and he places his hand on my shoulder in reassurance. God, I messed up there. I need to tell him the truth as soon as I can manage. That's going to be difficult seeing as he can barely stand to be in the same building as me, much less the same room.

I don't blame him with that. I blame myself. I wasn't necessarily the best mother out there. I mean, I wouldn't even let Jonathan meet Jackson. The only reason they know about each other is because of their father. Jackson's phone rings and he taps Grayson. Grayson nods and he walks off as Ty is loading Ella up in Sophia's truck. I open my phone and go to call Jonathan. I should probably update him. His phone rings twice then goes to voicemail. Did he reject my call? I do it a few more times and it still happens. I sigh and decide to try later. "We'll all just meet you back at your place, okay? It'll be quite a ride. If you think you can't make it, you tell Sophia and she or one of the others will call us and we'll know you took a break." Ty says.

She nods. "I know." She smiles at me when I look at her. Jackson walks back. Still on the phone.

"No, no. Everything's fine. If you want to." He pauses, listening to the other person. He looks towards me and catches my eyes and I can see him shut his emotions out. "Jo-" He sighs. "Fine. Whatever. Yeah. See ya then." He hangs the phone up then walks to Grayson and whispers something to him. Grayson shrugs then talks back to him, and Jackson smiles. "Right." He says.

"You riding with me Mel?" Bryant asks me.

I nod. "Yeah. Let's go." I get in the truck and we all make our way back to Alabama.

Jackson's POV

"So, let me get this straight." Ella says from the front seat. "You're Mel's youngest son that she gave up for adoption?"

I nod. "That's what I said."

"And you know Jonathan. But she doesn't know you actually know each other?"

"Nope."

"And he's on his way to meet us now?"

"Yep."

"And she has no idea?"

"None."

"Damn."

"What?"

"Your life is like a bad soap opera I swear to God."

I chuckle. "I know. It's ridiculous."

"I feel like there's more to her story though."

"Oh, I know there is. She just won't tell me." I lean my head back on the seat. "I've been trying for years Princess. She just won't tell me."

"Well, that's shitty."

"I'm very well aware."

"Things are definitely going to be interesting." I nod. She reaches her hand for me and I grab it. "Everything will be fine."

I smile. "I know."

We eventually get back to Ella's house. We beat everyone there. Grayson and I get Ella inside and I am currently getting Zeus and bringing him up front. "Grayson!" I yell. Ella is wheeled out and Zeus hesitantly walks towards her.