Chapter 13 Part 2

Sophia’s POV

It's been about three days. There's not much news on Ella other than the fact that she does seem to be in a responsive type coma. Which is good, I guess. I mean, a coma is still a coma.  I am currently walking to meet Jackson and Grayson in the cafeteria. I spot them sitting at a table with food in front of them. I wave as I pay for my food then make my way over to them. “Hey.” I say as I sit down.

Both of them look up. “How's she doing?” Jackson asks.

“Not much change. Mel has left to go to her hotel room for a while if to want to go see her?”

He nods. “I'd like that.”

“Well, finish your food and we'll all go see her, yeah?”

He nods and we all finish eating in silence. Jackson sighs as we throw our trash away. “Soph.” Jackson says.

“Yes?”

“I think I'm good to tell you.”

“Are you sure?” We start towards the room.

He nods. “Yeah…”

I nod and look to him as we turn at a corner. He breathes out a shaky breath. “Where do I start?”

“The beginning Jacks.” Grayson says.

“Okay. Umm.. I have an older brother that she kept obviously. And I've always wondered why. So, one day when I was about ten I asked my father when he was visiting. He told me it wasn't his place to tell. By this point, they had been divorced for years. So, the next time Melissa, I can't even call her my mother, came and visited I confronted her.” He pauses as if to think. “Umm… how do I put this? At first she was nice about it. Saying she just couldn't afford another child, wanted me to have a better life, blah, blah, blah” He makes a hand motion as to say etcetera.

“Then one day, about a month later she came in and I confronted her about it. Over and over again. I should've stopped. I'd still be living in ignorant bliss if I did. God, why didn't I stop?” He huffs as we stop outside the room. “She got tired of it I guess and just yelled out I didn't want you,okay?! I was devastated. I didn't say anything for a good thirty seconds. I started crying and asked her why. She wouldn't give me an answer. Still hasn't to this day. No matter what I did my whole life, she still didn't love me. I get high grades in school? Not good enough. I get a ton of rewards in bull riding. Nothing. I get a good, normal job at fifteen. She doesn't care. So, eventually when I was seventeen, I stopped giving a shit. We ended up having a huge fight about everything when I was nineteen.”  He leans against the wall and looms down. “We both said things I'm sure we regret, but she said something that just solidified the fact that she just didn't like me for some reason.”

“What?”

“That I was the product of Satan, or something to that effect, and would never get anywhere in life. I told her I hated her and never wanted to see her again and that she would die alone.” He shrugs. “I still don't have a legit reason as to why she hates me so much. Probably never will.” He shrugs. “It's whatever.”

“I'm sure, she'll tell you eventually Jackson.”

“It doesn't really matter much to me anymore. I know who I am and I don't need her approval.”

I smile and nod. “That's the best mentality to have.”

“C’mon.” He says motioning to the room. “Let's go see our girl, yeah?”

I smile slightly. We walk in and there are less tubed and such connected to Ella than there was a few days ago. Jackson sits in the chair by the bed and I sit on the end of the bed. I touch her leg and feel her move slightly under my touch. I look down and smile. The doctors say she's getting better every day. They told me she has bruised ribs, a fractured pelvis bone, a small break in her right arm and a slight head injury. The head injury is what caused the coma. A doctor walks in. “Can I talk to you miss?”

I nod. “Of course.” I stand up and walk with him outside.

“She's responding more. Which means-”

“Sophia!” I hear Jackson yell. I run back in the room and see Ella, with her eyes open and awake.

“El.” I breathe out. The doctor walks to her and checks her out by checking her vitals and reflexive actions.

He turns to me. “Do you know your name ma'am?”

“What kind of-” She looks at me and sighs at the glare I give her. “Ella. Ella Daniels.”

“Where are you?”

“A hospital? I think. We were in Dallas, right?”

He nods and smiles then walks back to me. “We'll have to run a few more tests to be sure, but from what I'm seeing, she'll be fine.”

“Thank you so much. I'll be right back I say,  taking my phone out. I walk down the hall and start to dial my brother's number whom is with Bryant. When he answers the phone, I start tearing up. “T-Ty.”

“Is she okay?” He says worriedly.

“She's awake and responsive Ty. She's okay.”

“Oh thank the Lord.” He chuckles. “Thank God.  I'm going to wake Bryant up and we'll be there in a few.”

“Will you call Mel?”

“I can do that. You get back to her.”

I wipe the tears off my face. “Thanks Ty.” I hang up and walk back toward the room and am stopped by Grayson. He holds his arms out and I hug him tightly. He kisses my head. “I told you.”

“Shut up. No one likes a know-it-all.”

He chuckles. “Are you okay?”

I nod and smile. “I'm amazing.”

Jackson walks out with a smile on his face. “She's all yours.”

I walk in and she holds her left hand out and moves over slightly on the bed. I lay down beside her and hug her. “Is my baby okay?”

“Zeus is fine. Max has been watching him. Are you okay?” I say looking up to her.

“Other than feeling like a train just hit me? Yeah,  I'm fine.”

“They say you may never ride again…”

She sighs. “I had a feeling…”

“We'll figure something out El.”

“I know. We always do.”

“Are you okay Soph?”

“I'm good. You scared the shit out of me, well all of us, but I'm fine.”

“Jackson seems off.”

“Ah...there's a reason for that…” Jackson and Grayson both walk back in. I lean up and Jackson shakes his head so I lay back down. He grabs Ella's hand and she smiles.

“What's wrong with you Jackson?” She asks.

He shakes his head. “We'll talk later. It's not important. All that's important is that you're okay.”

I lean up. “I'm gonna go meet everyone.” I look to Grayson. “Come with me?”

He nods. I kiss Ella's head and we walk out. We meet everyone down the hall. I look to Mel. “Jackson's with her. So, we'd all appreciate if you'd try to be civil. He's not going to leave her side anytime soon.”

She nods. “I can do that.” We walk to the doorway and see Jackson whispering to her. She starts laughing and leans her head against his. He pecks her on the mouth and she grabs his hand and squeezes it. “They really like each other,  don't they?”

I nod. “They'd do anything for each other.”