Chapter Fifty-Six

CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX: SAVED

"How's your leg?" I asked Harry as I carefully led him towards our cabin – dropping my eyes down towards his bandaged leg, "Did it ever really heal, H?"

"Well...it's actually still pretty sore, so I guess not," Harry chuckled softly, "but it's OK, Laura. The dressing's still good, so I'll be fine."

"But don't you think we should still get Liam to have another look at it, anyway?" I pushed on.

Harry bit his lip. "I...don't think he'd be too chuffed about the idea."

"True..." I lowered my eyes and let out a sigh, "Harry...I'm so sorry, I...I-I don't know what came over him-"

"It's OK," Harry interrupted me with an assuring smile, "he probably just...got a little freaked out, that's all. I don't blame him."

"But...but he should've been happy to see you. He...he should've been excited that he was right all along..." I let out a sigh, "I...I don't know what happened..."

"Hey," Harry smiled at me again, "Laura, it was a close call...but we're still here. Let's just focus on something else for now, yeah?"

I looked up at him and managed to smile back. "Yeah. You're right. And in fact..." I felt my smile beginning to grow as I placed my hand on the doorknob of our cabin door, "this is what we can focus on..."

I turned the doorknob and pushed open the door – ushering Harry into the cabin and shutting the door with a quiet chuckle. Harry looked around the room for a few moments, and I saw a small smile spread across his face as he realized that he was finally home. I stood there with my back against the door – smiling at him as I watched him re-familiarize himself with his surroundings. But that wasn't why I was so excited.

Wait for it...

Harry's eyes suddenly dropped down towards the bed, and I heard him let out a soft gasp – and I immediately began chuckling fondly to myself once again.

Because sleeping like a log on top of Harry's pillow – with one of her arms stretched out across the bed – was our baby Lilly. I've been letting her sleep on his pillows lately because I wanted her to feel as if she was still around him by keeping her close to his scent. And it worked perfectly – because she would stay sound asleep for hours whenever she was lying on her daddy's pillow.

I felt my smile beginning to grow as Harry sunk down on the bed beside the sleeping baby – his face looking completely awestruck as he gazed down at her like the loving father that he was. I made my way over and sat down beside him as he began to reach out for Lilly's outstretched arm – stroking the back of her little chubby hand with his thumb. And he was just about to take his hand away when Lilly's tiny fingers suddenly closed around his thumb – much to me & Harry's delight.

I heard a soft chuckle escape from Harry's lips, and at the same time I saw his eyes starting to glisten with tears

I heard a soft chuckle escape from Harry's lips, and at the same time I saw his eyes starting to glisten with tears. I then moved forward and carefully lifted Lilly from the pillow – gently laying her in Harry's arms with a warm smile. Lilly's head immediately settled down comfortably against Harry's chest – and that was when I saw the first tear slide slowly down his face as he smiled down at her lovingly – his whole face immediately flushing with healthy colour as he rested his cheek on top of the sleeping baby's head.