Chapter Five

A/N: Chapter 5 is here! Once again, no zombie action 'cause it's a new environment for Laura, so it's like another orientation chapter. All the same, though - I hope you like it :)

CHAPTER FIVE: RECRUITMENT

"Right. What's in your backpack, then?" Harry asked me expectantly, "Empty it out on this table, please,"

I had just finished changing into the spare clothes he'd given me while my old stuff had been taken to a watering hole somewhere to be washed. Now, I was clutching the straps of my backpack protectively and looking at Harry suspiciously.

"Why?" I asked.

"Security precautions," he replied, "and besides – I need to see if you have anything useful,"

"What, so you can take it and then send me on my way with nothing?" I demanded.

A smile began to tug at his lips. "Not necessarily,"

I glared at him, but his expectant gaze remained unstirred. Feeling slightly defeated, I sighed and removed my backpack; thumping it on the table and unzipping it reluctantly. I then pushed the bag so that it slid across the table towards him, and he caught it with a thank-you nod.

"While I take a look at this," he spoke up again, "can you take out any weapons you have and lay them out on the table?"

I sighed again and pulled out my crow bar and my hatchet from where they were strapped to my belt, and the knife I used to open Sid's can from my jacket pocket. I dropped them on the table without a word.

"Sorry. I didn't take time to clean them. I hope you don't mind a little blood on your table," I said cockily.

"Is that all?" He asked, ignoring my comment.

For some reason, I felt somewhat disappointed that I didn't get a bite from him.

"No. There's also a gun and another knife in the backpack," I replied obediently.

He took out the four cans of food that I had left, my three bottles of water, the packets of rubber gloves, the boxes of meds I took from the pharmacy and finally the gun and knife that I had promised were in there. He nodded pensively at the items before peering into the backpack once again.

"Is there anything else in here?" He asked me.

"Uh, no. I don't think so,"

Harry looked at me thoughtfully, and then his eyes drifted down to the front pocket of my bag, and he immediately unzipped it. His eyes widened, and he seemed rather shocked at whatever he found inside; causing me to frown in confusion. I don't remember anything else being in there.

However, my jaw then dropped as he pulled out the handful of condoms that Annalise pushed at me that time we raided the desk. I had kept them out of my sentiments for her...but I'd totally forgotten that they were in there.

"Shit...I forgot about those," I cursed under my breath.

"Why," Harry began slowly, "do you have so many of these?"

"Annalise gave them to me. A few hours before she died," I answered truthfully, "I kept them because she practically begged me to take them once we discovered the stash,"

"Where the hell did you two find a giant stash of condoms?" He asked me with raised eyebrows.

"We used to take shelter in an old pharmacy," I replied, "there was a whole bunch of them in a drawer we unlocked in the back room,"

An amused smile began to spread across Harry's face. "Well. I guess I'll let you keep these, then. You never know when you might need them," he said with a chuckle as he put all the condoms back in the front pocket of my bag, "anyway," he cleared his throat, "so, the stuff you've carried around actually proves to be quite useful. I'll add them to our storage, and then I'll see if I can get Hailee to show you around,"