Chapter One

A/N: First chapter is here! Idk what you guys'll think of it...not much zombie action here cuz it's mainly an introduction to all the characters. But more zombies in next chapter xD

CHAPTER ONE: QUARANTINE

I woke up to the sound of police sirens wailing in the distance. My head turned to glance at my digital clock. It was just after 3AM. As I sat up in my bed, I saw that my room was alive and brightened by the red & blue lights of cop cars shining through my window. It looks and sounds like there's hundreds of them outside in the neighbourhood. I frowned as I squinted out the window. What the hell was going on? The biggest amount of police cars I've seen around this place was about three or four of them at the house about five doors away - when an old nanny took too many pills by accident and died while watching TV. But now, looking out my window, there's about fifty police cars on our side of the street alone. In the distance, I hear people screaming; and it sends chills down my spine.

"Mum?" I called out warily as I tried to tear my gaze from the window, "What's going on? Why are there so many copper's cars outside?"

No reply.

Surely she wasn't sleeping through all this chaos. How is that even possible?

"Helloooo? Mum?" I turned to look at my bedroom door; debating on whether or not I should leave or just stay in my room.

I suddenly heard trudging footsteps walking around the lower level of our house. My whole body froze. That did not sound like mum.

"Who's there?" I whispered; even though I knew nobody would hear it.

Well...hopefully.

I let out a whimper and frantically looked around my room from where I was standing; looking for some sort of weapon to defend myself with.

A bottle of perfume?

...Nah.

Tissue box?

Nuh-uh.

A bra?

No way.

A desk lamp?

Nah.

Wait.

A desk lamp could work.

I ran over to my old study desk and unplugged the lamp. I didn't know how long I could use it as a weapon...but it was the best I got. If only tampons weren't so useless when it's not your time of the month.

I held the lamp over my head so that it was ready for attack. My eyes were fixed on my bedroom door as the footsteps continued to stomp around downstairs.

My breath hitched as the noise grew louder - indicating that whoever was in my house was now coming upstairs. I heard them...lumbering down the hallway in big, heavy boots, and the sound of keys or whatever clinking together as the intruder walked.

I stifled a gasp as I saw my doorknob turning; my whole body trembling with fear as I got the horrible feeling that something treacherous was waiting for me outside. I swear I could hear them...breathing heavily on the other side of my door. Or that could have been my heavy breathing. I swear I was suffering from all sorts of paranoia right now.

The door opened, and without hesitation I screamed and called for my mother; raising my desk lamp high above my head.

"Pipe down, kid!" The police officer who had entered my room hissed, "Do you want to be heard by the Prowlers?!"