Chapter Ten

CHAPTER TEN: MEMORY LANE

WELCOME TO LOCHPINE
POPULATION: 50,000,OOOOO DEAD

"Damn," Harry said as we approached Lochpine's welcome sign, "even in a zombie apocalypse, people still find time for vandalism,"

I couldn't say a word to him, and instead found myself trembling with fear as I looked beyond the sign at the looming shadows of the city's tall buildings that stretched gloomily into the sky. I could hardly believe that I was back.

"Hey," Harry hesitated before placing a hand on my shoulder, "are you alright?"

I gulped before responding with a slow, anxious nod; beginning to feel beads of sweat forming at my forehead.

"Y-Yeah. It's just..." I nervously chewed on my lip, "memories, y'know?"

"Oh. Of course," Harry nodded slowly, "well, er...we won't stay for long. Just in & out, yeah?"

"Mhmm. OK," I nodded again and scratched my neck uneasily.

"Look, if you feel too...sensitive...at any point, just...let me know, OK?"

"I will," I promised.

Even though things might've become awkward between us after our spat, I was so grateful that he was still being so nice. Even though he acted like an asshole, I still have no idea if I could go back into this town if he wasn't here.

Harry nodded and began to walk past the sign & into the city. I tried to follow him, but all I could do was take one step closer to the place before I completely froze all over again. My eyes drifted down to the graffitied welcome sign, and almost absent-mindedly I ran a hand over the rough edge of the wood; taking deep, shaky breaths as I struggled to find enough courage to walk past the sign.

Harry stopped in his tracks and turned around; seeing that I was stuck. With a worried bite of his lip, he began to make his way back over to me.

"Are you sure you're OK with this?" He asked me earnestly.

I nodded. "Yeah, Haz, I just...I'm still trying to pluck up the courage,"

"OK, well..." he took a deep breath, "Laura, I know you're mad at me right now, but...if at any point you need someone to hold onto while we do this...I'm right here, OK?"

"OK," I gave him a small smile, "thanks, Harry,"

"Anytime," he smiled back at me, "whenever you're ready. I can wait right here while you gather your strength,"

I chuckled quietly. "Well...while we wait...me being mad at you?" I looked up at him, "I've calmed down now, so you're safe. I'm not gonna chew your head off,"

"Well, that's good to hear," his smile grew a little, "glad to know we can just leave the head-chewing to the walkers again,"

I couldn't help but laugh at his comment. "Yeah,"

I didn't want to lose his friendship by being mad at him for what happened. And besides...he seemed to back away from it for a good-ish reason. If I do have to be friendzoned, then I at least still want us to maintain a good relationship.

I turned serious again and closed my eyes; slowly breathing in & out as I prepared myself to re-enter memory lane.

"OK...I think I'm ready,"

"You sure?" Harry asked me.

I nodded. "Mhmm. I'm sure. But er...your offer of being someone to hold on to...can I take you up on that now?"