Chapter Thirty-Nine

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE: SETTLE

Harry

"Penny?" Mike's jaw dropped, "W-What are you doing here?!"

"I could ask you the same thing!" Penny's widened eyes seemed to freeze that way.

"I thought you were dead!"

"How did you escape from the invasion?" Mike asked her.

"I was feeding Lucas by the back of the base, and-"

"Lucas?" Liam frowned.

"That's the name of the goat," she said curtly - seemingly annoyed that she had been interrupted, "anyway - so I was feeding Lucas when I heard walkers breaking into the base. I tried to fight some off, but they were starting to overpower me. So, in the end, I escaped through the back end of the base, and found this motel a few days later," she then looked at Mike, "what about you?"

"Same thing, more or less," Mike shrugged, "except I ended up travelling to my daughter's base."

"Harry!" I turned around to see that Laura had caught up to us with Hailee, "A-Are you OK? Are there any walkers left?"

"Nope," I smiled at her, "it's OK, love. We got 'em all."

"Thank God," Laura sighed in relief, "you were taking ages, I just...I thought something had happened..." she bit her lip.

I shook my head. "Just bumped into a blast from the past."

"And I see you've reunited with your - oh my fuck," Penny's eyes widened as soon as her eyes fell on Laura, "er, Mike? Has your daughter been eating a lot, or is she knocked up?"

"Oh...right. Erm..." Mike's voice trailed away, and he bit his lip, "she's..."

"She's knocked up," Liam butted in casually, "6 months knocked up, as a matter of fact."

"Uhh...wow," Penny raised an eyebrow before looking at me, "uhm, I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything, Harold, but now's not exactly a good time for babies."

"Shut up," I rolled my eyes, "and it's Harry - not Harold,"

"Whatever," Penny shrugged, "so, uh, what made you lot want to come down here?"

"Mike thought it was a safer place for Laura to have the baby," Hailee explained.

"Seriously?" Penny cocked an eyebrow at Mike, "Dude - this is one of the worst places to take a pregnant girl - especially if it's to have her baby."

"But those mansions in Greyfort's rich area," Mike objected, "that's where I wanted to take her."

"You're trusting those rickety old shacks to shelter you for three more months?" Penny laughed, "Good luck with that,"

"No - we're setting up temporary camp here," Mike began to explain, "and then, when Laura's close to having the baby, we'll take her to the mansions,"

"Really?" Penny looked doubtful, "This motel...it isn't really a good place to 'live in', per se. I mean, have you seen those fences?"

"Of course," I nodded, "but we're hoping to really fortify this place. We brought a lot of building supplies in the back of our van,"

"Yeah?" Penny seemed impressed this time, "Well, well. You lot sure are organized, aren't you?" she then sighed, "I guess you're gonna want this place to yourselves. Looks like me & Lucas have to find another place to live."