Annabeth XXXVII

“Crap. We’re losing him.”

Percy looked like he was having trouble breathing.

"Look, the heart monitor, it’s slowing down.” 

“What? He was just good a minute ago!” 

“I know it’s weird, but he’s leaving us!” Will almost shouted towards his father. Apollo looked slightly taken aback. Will bit his lip.  “No offense, Dad.” 

Apollo raised a hand. 

“It’s fine, Will. Quick, increase the injection of morphine.” Apollo got over his shock and immediately pulled on surgical operation gloves. “We’ll have to give Percy morphine or he’ll be in too much pain. Everyone, please leave the infirmary.”

“Can I stay?” Annabeth said in a small voice. “Please?” 

Apollo looked sadly at Annabeth, and nodded gently. 

“Yes, of course. Annabeth. Poseidon, you can stay too, if you want.” 

“I guess I’ll have to go find Sally.” Poseidon passed the offer. “She’s probably in total shock right now.” 

She is. Annabeth thought. Duh. She’s his mother.

Poseidon left the infirmary, and at the same time, Will was hurrying to his father’s side pushing a small machine on wheels, Leo Valdez on his side. 

“I’ve enhanced the PCA pump,” Leo said, panting from running. “Look, it controls the amount of morphine according to the patient.” 

Apollo nodded curtly and inserted the tubing to Percy’s I.V. line. 

“Is the syringe of Morphine drip attached?” 

“Yes, dad. What do we have to do to help? We’ve already tried to heal the wounds, but oddly, they don’t heal thoroughly.” 

“CPB pump.” Apollo answered. “The heart-lung machine. Help him breathe.” 

“Got it.” Will ran off to find the equipment as Apollo sat down, sighing deeply. 

“I have no idea why am I doing this. I’m only the God of Medicine!” he laughed to himself.

Annabeth frowned. 

“Don’t you feel privileged to be able to save a life?” she said,, suddenly realising she was rather rude, and added, “Lord Apollo.” 

Apollo seemed shocked at seeing Annabeth here, obviously forgetting her presence, but he sighed deeply. 

“I don’t know, Annabeth. I just… I’m sorry.” 

Annabeth didn’t reply. She only stared at the unconscious Percy, small tears forming in her eyes. 

Will ran back into the room, with Leo helping him to bring in the CPB pump. 

Apollo looked at Annabeth, nodded, and helped Will connect the CPB to Percy’s heart and lungs. 

“Wake up.” Annabeth prayed silently. “Wake up, Seaweed Brain!” 

As Percy breathed into the oxygen mask, Will worked silently on trying hopefully to stitch the wounds on his skin, (failing) while Apollo was examining Percy’s wounds. 

“Is it just me, or do I see a gunshot wound right below his heart?” Will put down the stitches and looked at where Apollo was pointing at. Annabeth stood up from her chair and joined the observation. 

“You’re right.” 

“Was it there before?” 

Will and Annabeth exchanged glances. No. It wasn’t there before. What happened? 

“Maybe Kronos did that to Percy… in his own mind?” Will said, half-believing his own statement. 

“It could happen.” Apollo said. Annabeth raised an eyebrow. How come Apollo knew everything? 

Apollo raised up both his hands. 

“Seriously, I just remember Hypnos saying something like that.” he laughed awkwardly. “I’m not a genius, you know. Not like Athena.” 

Annabeth shot a death glare towards Apollo. He laughed and muttered something like: So much like your own mother. 

“Can you heal it?” Annabeth asked worriedly. “Is it serious?” 

“It seemed to be coming from the inside.” Will said. “We can’t do anything about it.” 

Apollo peeled off his surgical gloves. 

“Let’s just leave him be. He really needs some rest.” Will nodded and left Annabeth alone in the room. 

However, Annabeth had this nagging feeling that something was wrong. 

If Percy suffered from a gun-shot wound in his own head, then would it cause bleeding? Would he die from blood-loss? What’s Kronos doing now? 

Suddenly, a voice was whispering down her ear. 

“Oh, Annabeth.” it hissed. Annabeth spun around to where the sound came from. “Annabeth, you are so oblivious to what’s happening to Percy, are you?” 

“What’s happening?” Annabeth said cautiously. 

“He’s dying, little girl.” the voice seemed to be smiling evilly. Annabeth looked at craved in spaces of the infirmary, but can’t seem to find the source of the voice. “Oh, you wouldn’t find me, young one.” it said. “I am the Earth. You won’t be able to see me.” 

Annabeth’s eyes widened in realisation. 

“Gaia.” she muttered in disgust. Gaia laughed. 

“Oh you don’t have to put so much agony into the word.” she said. “I am doing a good deed.” 

“And what on earth is that good deed that you’re doing?” Annabeth snapped. “I can only see that you’re trying to put me on edge. 

“Your boyfriend is in danger.” she smirked. Annabeth raised an eyebrow. 

“I’m not Percy. Now stop beating about the bush and just tell me how the hell I can help him!” Annabeth tried to keep her calm. Gaia tutted. 

“Such words coming out from a young, elegant lady!” Gaia mocked. “Here’s the deal, girl. If you can keep Percy from ruining my plans, I’ll promise not to kill him.” 

“What are your plans?” 

“Oh good. He didn’t tell you.” Gaia clapped her hands. “I didn’t monitor anyone, so I wasn’t sure if anyone except Percy and that Bianca girl knew anything special about our… ahem… mission.” 

“Ha.” Annabeth mock laughed. “Well, you’re happy, we all don’t know anything about any plan or mission, so would you kindly let Percy gain his consciousness and just let us spend a good relationship together for, at least three months or something?”  

“Isn’t the girlfriend considerate!” Gaia cooed. “Ah, a fine couple we have here. All the more happier to break it.” Annabeth’s hands clenched in anger.

Don’t you dare do anything to Percy, AGAIN!” she growled. Gaia laughed. 

“Such an over-protective girlfriend. I’m very sorry, young demigod, but it’s up to Mr. Jackson’s will of living to see if he can survive this round.” The ground started shaking slightly. “Farewell, daughter of Athena. Oh, how much I yearn for that blood of yours.” The voice vanished. 

At the same time, the alarm of the heart-rate monitor went off. 

Marking the stop of Percy’s heartbeat. 

AN: Ugh. I guess I was too rushing to give you all the chapter I didn't re-read it, and it's so bad. It's just like utter rubbish. *weeps* Anyways, please comment :D I'd really wanna read what you think of this story, it's almost ending, (*cough* SEQUEL, EVERYBODY!) but I promise to give you a shocking ending. ;) I don't like to keep things boring for too long, sorry. :P