Have A Little Trust, Will You Please?

Começar do início

                Shit shit shit shit shit. I have to find Kat…what if…what if she’s…no. She isn’t.

                My fingers are trembling as dial Dak’s number into my phone, only hearing the dial tone colliding with my thrashing heartbeat. One ring…thump…two rings…thump thump…three rings…thump thump thump…four rings…thump thump thump th—

                “Hello…?” Dak’s low, bass voice questions out, obviously not remembering my number.

                “I—it’s Colette, Kat’s best friend…uhm, so I was just wondering…is Kat still with you?”

                “Oh, hey Colette. And, naw, she left like at 10…” his voice fades off, mumbling groggily, “wait…why are you asking anyway? Isn’t she with you?”

                “No…she never made it back to the house. She was warning me that my crazy ex was in the ‘hood and then she randomly hung up…I haven’t heard from her since…Dakota, I’m really worried that something’s happened to her. Like, really bad. I have that feeling in the pit of my stomach…I…” my voice cracks. I let those unfinished, gloomy words hang in the cold, stolid room.

                “Oh…uhm…have ya tried calling her?” a huge gulp trickles down his throat, fear evading his complete soul from one sentence I muttered. Just by one word, just one word and his whole demeanor has changed. Just one word and his whole night, his whole life has flipped a one-eighty. By one single word…

                “I—yes, I have. She-she didn’t pick up. And James is in the hospital and I have no idea what the hell is going on anymore…” I force, drag my eyes up the wall, demanding them to stare up at the ceiling, pretending that these tears aren’t really falling. That this isn’t really my life. That I’m just an actor in a movie, acting in this position of a teenage girl, a damsel in distress, who screwed up her whole life by one decision, and I’m just gonna wake up any second and be put into whatever my real life truly is. This is fake. This isn’t reality. It’s just a TV show, just another chapter in a book. Nothing’s real. Nothing that happens is true…it’s just part of the script I never got. And I just have to keep ad-libbing it through until my eyes finally open from their deep slumber.

                “Oh, Colette…just breathe. I’ll find her. You need to sleep er something. Take a time out er something, ‘kay? Let ya know with wh-whatever happens with Kat ASAP.” His voice is waterlogged with despair, trapped in a low, dark, heartbreaking tone. His heart’s strength is being tested; with each second he has to wait to see her, his heartstrings slowly being torn apart.

                Am I seriously that stupid??

                “Dakota!” I suddenly shout, my puzzled brain finally put the obvious pieces together. “It—It’s Mark, my ex. He did it! It’s so obvious….he’s trying to get the Maslow’s out of the way so then he’ll be able to just get me to go back to him ‘cause nobody’ll be left to protect me. That’s it…I swear. Okay, if you wanna find Kat…look toward the bridge by her house. I bet you that’s where she is…”

                “Omigod,” he breathes out, all this built up tension slowly melting away into a bittersweet relief. “Thank you so much…I gotta go out there. Talk to you soon.”

                Why do I feel like that this was the easiest task he is gonna make me deal with…?

                This is just a little game in his head, toying with people’s emotions, even their lives. He’s dancing on fire right about now. Oh, he doesn’t even feel the flames ‘cause that’s what he was brought up on: embers and coal, while the rest of us grew up on ashes and grass. We know not to get too close to the fire or else we’ll get scorched and burnt. However, since he grew up on in the bonfire pit, he has the rock hard calluses built up on his blackened feet. Oh no, he doesn’t feel the heat while we all can even smell how ravenous those flames are…