1.3

Soulmates are Stupid: chapter 13

Dan's teachers let the class out early. So, since it was the end of the day, Dan got some extra time before Felix got back.

It was the type of day at the end of January that Dan had to check and see if it was still January. 

It was, thank God. It was January 23rd. 

Dan realized that it was a week before Phil's 24th birthday. So he'd have to go shopping over the weekend. But Dan really didn't know Phil's interests. He had a week to find out. That was plenty of time. Notice the sarcasm.

Dan had to plan out what he was going to do for his birthday. And he would get Matt to help him. But Dan had homework to do at the moment. 

Dan unpacked his backpack, everything matching and being aesthetically pleasing when he just didn't change his signature colour.  (A/N Same, Daniel, Same)

His phone decided to ring in the middle of his 'procrastination stage' of homework. 

It was his brother, of all people.

"Dan," said Adrian. Dan heard the winds, like the strong current on the beach, and people shouting in happiness. "Um, Mum wanted to tell you that we're on vacation in Florida at the moment. I don't know why it's in the middle of January when I have school but I wanted to tell you before she told you."

Of course, Dan thought. They always go on vacation without me.

But Dan really couldn't complain. He was at University. He couldn't go on vacation. Teachers even frown upon family emergencies. 

"Oh," Dan muttered. "Have fun."

"I'm sorry--"

Dan hung up the phone. He couldn't hear anymore apologizes. Especially when it wasn't even his fault.

He put his phone down and sighed. He heard the door click as Felix entered the room.

"Hello, Daniel the Spaniel," Felix said. 

Dan cringed. "Don't call me that."

"What?"

"You know what."

Felix chuckled. 

"What's so funny?" Dan asked, worry threatening to spill out.

"You get all defensive when you're mad," Felix said, in between laughs.

Dan scoffed. "Well, thanks."

He turned back to his homework and got to work, suffering while doing so. 

~

Dan put in his earbuds and listened to some good ol' My Chemical Romance.

I'm Not Okay (I Promise) was the theme song to Dan's life. Well, he was never okay. His life turned right side up in University, finding his soulmate for the first time and becoming independent.

Gerard Way was flooding Dan's ears. 

"I gotta bulletproof heart

You gotta hollow point smile

We had our run away scarves,

Got a photograph dream on the getaway mile

Let's blow a hole in this town

And do our talking with the laser beam

Coming out of this place

In a bullet's embrace

Then we'll do it again"

It was an inspirational song for Dan to listen to when Dan was procrastinating. But he wasn't. But he kept listening to it.

He took the right earbud from the right side of his head and listen to Felix tapping on his desk, imitating drums. 

Dan chuckled. "Trying to be a rock star, Felix?"

He knew even without looking at him that Felix was blushing scarlet. "No."

Dan laughed again and got up. He was close to finishing and was pretty much ready for a break.

"Guess what," said Dan, sounding like a twelve-year-old girl at a slumber party telling gossip to her friends while braiding each other's hair.

"What?" asked Felix, sitting cross-legged on his bed. So this was a sleepover. 

"Phil asked me on a date!"

"THANK THE LORD!" Felix yelled, coming over to hug the younger boy.

"What?" Dan smiled, even though his voice was muffled by Felix's jumper.

"Finally! I thought it was gonna take forever for you guy's relationship to blossom!"

"Who says 'to blossom' anymore?"

"I do!"

Is it bad that I told Felix and he acted like a twelve-year-old? Dan asked.

"So know you're talking to him when you're supposed to talk to me?" Felix said, putting his hands on his hips.

"Sorry!"

Matt did the same, Phil responded. 

Dan was tempted to laugh. Tempted. If he even dare to show any emotions, Felix would bust him. And he surely didn't want that to happen. Then Felix wouldn't trust him. Because that's what happened to Dan.

It was 17-year-old Dan and his best friend, Michael. Michael had his soulmate, and he perfectly accepted Dan being a Fallen Soul (even though he wasn't). The day that Michael made Dan feel horrible inside was when he was coming out for the first. 

"Hey, Michael?" Dan has asked.

"Yeah?" Michael responded, he seemed to past-Dan as paying attention, but that was Dan's first mistake.

"I-I'm gay."

Michael straight (unlike Dan) up laughed at Dan. 

Dan felt the tears build up. "Why would you laugh?"

"Oh sorry you had to be there!" Michael breathed.

"What do you mean! I just told you a personal fact that I never told anyone!"

"What was that again? I was talking to James"--James was Michael's soulmate--"sorry about that mate."

But he wasn't.

Dan stormed off, never trusting Michael again.

Felix was shaking him. "Dan? What's wrong?"

"What?" Dan asked. 

"You dazed out on me."

"Oh, sorry."

"Do you need to talk?"

Dan shook his head. "I'm fine, Felix, really."

Felix pressed his lips into a fine line. "Okay."

It was obvious to Dan that he was lying. 

A/N so by now you should know that I'm lazy. But I'm also quite indecisive and have made around 10 covers for this story. I will also allow others to make covers if they'd like, just send it to me through my social medias (they were listed a couple chapters ago).  

ALSO! Speaking of covers, I'm designing ajeverly 's  cover to her Josh Dun story!