26| Truce

Freddie and I sat side by side, our bodies slumped lazily against the wall. My fingers were still curled around the top of the alcoholic beverage beside me. I'd lost count of how many drinks we'd had now. Everything was slowly becoming a blissful blur, and I loved it.

"What's your secret, Freddie?" I questioned, frowning at him in the dim lighting. He turned his head to face me, and I noticed how much different this Freddie seemed to be compared to the one I'd met only the other day. "What aren't you telling me?"

He took a sip of his drink, seeming to be avoiding my question until he paused, the glass bottle hovering a little away from his lips. "You know, I shouldn't even be here right now. I shouldn't have made it to Earth."

I was confused as his words slurred out, and I watched carefully as his eyes held their gaze on a particular spot in the room, staring despondently.

"Noah and I," he started again, his hands holding the bottle tighter in his grip. "We hacked into the system on the ark. They came for us, but Noah, he told me to go. He told me to leave him and that he'd handle it. And I- I was so scared because I was over eighteen and I knew the repercussions. But he wasn't, and he took the fall for it."

"He sounds like a good guy," I commented, my eyes still trained on him, so I noticed his head fall slightly at my words.

"He is," he said. "Or was." My heart fell slightly as silence lapsed between us. I completely understood the pain of having to deal with all the not knowing whether someone you loved was still here or not. "Is it wrong that I loved him?"

"He's your best friend, of course it's not," I replied as Freddie exhaled through his nose and shook his head, taking quite a large gulp of his drink.

"No, not like that," he eventually responded, his eyes finding their way back to that same spot in the room. "I loved him. Like, I really loved him. And sometimes I thought he felt the same. But other times–" he cut off as I hung on to his words, waiting for him to finish. "I don't even know what we were, it was complicated. But, god, I wish he was still here."

I nodded, trying to understand as much as I could. I didn't really know much about their relationship, but it seemed to have a lot of complexities. "You'll get him back."

"I hope so," he said, an element of deep sadness to his voice. "Even after everything that's happened between us, I still care about him. I need him."

"Were you in a relationship?"

"Like I said, it was complicated." He took a large swig of his drink, and I noticed he'd almost finished yet another bottle, and it was beginning to take it's toll. "One day we were be sat together, like always, as friends. But then all of a sudden it all changed and we had this–" he cut off, a weak, close lipped smile forming on his face. "It was different. It felt like– love, maybe?But we never really disclosed anything, we never decided to be in a relationship or anything." He shrugged, finishing the remains of his drink and setting the empty bottle down to the floor, beside all the others. "I guess I just never got to ask."

"That sucks man," I mumbled, picking my drink back up and taking a large sip. "That really sucks."

"Tell me about it," he sighed heavily, messing with his already dishevelled hair. "What about you? I heard you've had a rough time."

I raised my eyebrows, nodding with a quiet laugh at the truthfulness of it. "Just a bit."

"Tell me about it," he prompted with a small smile as I took a few more large sips from my bottle, bracing myself.

"My dad worked as an engineer and he discovered a flaw on the Ark, about the amount of life support left," I started, the memories of my father suddenly buzzing in my mind. His bright blue eyes, his intelligence, and his inclination to always do the right thing. "Clarke's dad did too," I continued, snapping out of my thoughts. "They both thought that people had a right to know, as did we. Obviously, the council disagreed and, well, Abby turned them in. Both our fathers were floated and Clarke and I got locked up to keep the secret. That's how I ended up down here."