23| Lights

There was a small fire lit in the camp that we'd set up for the night.

Clarke and Octavia had eventually fallen asleep a while ago, leaving Bellamy and I sat beside each other on a log opposite the fire, keeping watch of our surroundings. Bellamy had told me numerous times that I could sleep and he'd keep watch, but I kept declining.

"You know, I thought I was never going to see you again," I stated, breaking the silence for the first time in a while.

"The last time I saw you, Miller was pushing you inside the dropship," he said as I glanced over to look at him. The light radiating from the fire cast on to his face, bathing him in a warm glow. "When Clarke came back and told us everything, when she said she'd lost you...after everything-" he started again, only to trail off, silence lapsing between us once more.

I glanced down at the flames of the fire licking at the wood underneath it, listening to the oddly relaxing, soft crackling sounds.

"There's forty six people still in Mount Weather," I spoke up again, lifting my eyes to look at Bellamy. "Including Jasper, Monty and Miller. We can't just leave them there to die."

"We'll get them back," he assured, although saying it out loud made it seem like an impossible task. Clarke and I barely made it out, let alone back in. "After everything we've all been through, we can do this."

"Yeah, we've been through some shit," I commented, my mind casting back to our first few days on Earth. Jasper being horrifically speared in the chest, then going searching for him with no clue whether he was alive or not – that was definitely an experience. The nuts we'd found that made everyone hallucinate, the virus Murphy brought back from the grounders, and our final fight. We survived all of it.

Bellamy looked over at me, properly, a small smile twitching on his lips. His eyes seemed to search mine for something, but I wasn't quite sure what. "You hated me."

I let out a gentle, breathy laugh, shaking my head at his statement. "I never hated you. You just weren't always my favourite person..." I trailed off, glancing up at him with an innocent grin. "Anyway, I thought you hated me."

"I didn't hate you," he started, a slightly smirking tugging at his lips. "I mean I thought you were annoying for a while–"

I scoffed over dramatically, placing my hand to my heart whilst he chuckled at my response. "In that case then, I thought you were a selfish and arrogant asshole." The two of us laughed quietly, our shoulders touching as we leaned in to each other slightly. When it fell silent again, I looked up and noticed Bellamy's brown eyes staring thoughtfully into the distance. "You know, I'm glad I found you again."

"I'd say I agreed with you but I'd probably be lying." I raised my eyebrows at him and he let out a low chuckle again. "Kidding."

"Admit it," I teased, grinning up at him. His eyes shifted to mine. "You love having me around."

"I suppose so," he mused. "As long as you're not practically passing out drunk."

"That was one time–" I defended as he met my eyes again, causing my smile to falter. "But in all seriousness, I really did miss you, Bellamy."

"Of course you did," he responded, a grin tugging at the corner of his mouth. "Who wouldn't?"

"Getting a bit too ahead of yourself there," I quietly teased, suddenly conscious that Clarke and Octavia were still asleep nearby.

"You love it, dimples."

I glanced away for a moment a smile on my face. When I looked back, I realised he still had his held his gaze on me, causing my cheeks to heat up. My heart was pounding wildly in my chest, as our stares lingered for a few moments. I found myself, again, noticing how the lighting of the fire engulfed him a beautiful, dim glow, highlighting his features.