07| Walls

Last night, a body was found just outside the walls. As quite a heavy sleeper, I didn't wake up, despite all the commotion there allegedly was. I was informed about it in the morning by Octavia.

It was Wells' body.

And despite the fact I could never have forgiven him for what he did, I still felt his death hang over me. It still had an impact. I suppose I was thinking about Clarke and how much she was hurting. That, and I just didn't want to lose any more people.

Later in the day, whilst everyone had been busy building the wall to keep the grounders out, Jasper and Octavia had found Wells' fingers.
The two of them, Clarke, Bellamy and I were huddled in Bellamy's tent, staring at the two bloody fingers on the table.

"This knife was made of metal from the dropship." Clarke stated, turning the weapon over in her hands.

"What do you mean?" Jasper asked.

"Who else knows about this?" Bellamy questioned, glancing over at his sister and Jasper.

"No one." Octavia replied. "We brought it straight here."

"Clarke?" Jasper prompted.

She sighed. "It means the grounders didn't kill Wells. It was one of us."

Nerves immediately settled in my chest. It was someone in the camp? How could we be safe here? We were keeping the 'threat' outside, when really, we weren't safe at all inside these walls.

"Brilliant." I mumbled. "So now there's a murderer in camp."

"There's more than one murderer in this camp." Bellamy pointed out. "This isn't news. We need to keep it quiet."

Clarke shook her head started to storm over to the exit but Bellamy stepped in front of her. "Get out of my way, Bellamy." My best friend said through gritted teeth.

"Clarke, be smart about this." He advised. "Look at what we've achieved; the wall, the patrols. Like it or not, thinking the Grounders killed Wells is good for us."

"Oh, good for you, you mean!" Clarke snapped back. "What? Keep people afraid and they'll work for you? Is that it?"

Bellamy nodded. "Yeah. That's it. But it's good for all of us. Fear of the Grounders is building that wall. And besides, what are you gonna do? Just walk out there and ask the killer to step forward? You don't even know whose knife that is."

"Oh, really?" She challenged, holding it out in front of him. "J.M. John Murphy. The people have a right to know." She shoved past Bellamy, who just opened and closed his mouth in shock, and left the tent.

I shook my head in disbelief. I knew Murphy was a dick but a murderer? I didn't feel safe here at all, not with him around.

Bellamy started to follow Clarke out of the tent, as did the rest of us.

"You son of a bitch." Clarke shouted, harshly pushing Murphy backwards.

Murphy laughed half heartedly. "Woah, what's your problem?"

"Recognise this?" She held up the knife.

"It's my knife, where did you find it?" He reached out to take it but she moved her hand away.

"Where you dropped it after you killed Wells."

"Where I what?" Murphy actually looked taken aback. "The Grounders killed Wells, not me."

"I know what you did." Clarke said darkly. "And you're gonna pay for it."

"Really?" Murphy looked over at us. "Bellamy, you really believe this crap?"