04| Charm

"How do we know this is the right way?" Murphy asked as we walked along the stones. Obviously, the fact that we'd found rocks covered in blood earlier was not a big enough sign for him.

"We don't." Bellamy stated, rolling his eyes as he shot Finn a sideways glance. "Spacewalker thinks he's a tracker."

"It's called cutting sign." Wells interjected. "Fourth-year earth skills. He's good."

"You want to keep it down or should I paint a target on your backs?" Finn snapped, pausing by a plant. He reached over, pulling at a branch. Then him and Clarke bent down to examine a drop of blood on the rocks.

"See?" I heard Bellamy whisper to Wells. "You're invisible."

An injured moan rang out in the distance and we all turned around.

"What the hell was that?" Murphy asked, looking up at the sky as if the answer would just magically appear.

Clarke's body stiffened. "Now would be a good time to take out that gun."

She started to run through the trees, in the direction of the noise, and I followed her without hesitation.

I was too busy trying not to trip over that I didn't notice she had paused until I crashed into her.

"Sorry-" My jaw dropped when I saw the scene in front of us. "Oh my god, Jasper."

He was tied to a tree by his arms and waist. His shirt had been removed, exposing his wound. Blood covered his body.

I stepped forwards immediately, breaking out into a jog as I neared closer to the tree.

"The hell is this?"

Suddenly, the ground completely gave way beneath me. I screamed, ready to fall to my death. Underneath me were very threatening looking spikes.

Before I could fall any further, somebody grabbed my wrist at the last second. I groaned as pain shot up my arm. I looked up into Bellamy's deep brown eyes, watching his emotionless face. My life was literally in his hands and I wasn't too sure how I felt about that.

I felt myself being pulled up by the others and eventually I could breathe again. Although, my heart was still pounding.

"Billie, are you okay?" Clarke double checked.

I swallowed, slightly in shock. "I'm fine."

I made eye contact with Bellamy briefly but neither of us said anything.

"We need to get him down." Clarke instructed, eyes flickering to Jasper before back to me again.

"I'll climb up there and cut the vines." Finn nodded, pulling a knife out of his pocket.

"Yeah I'm with you." Wells agreed, starting to head over to Finn.

"No. Stay with Clarke." His eyes shifted to Bellamy. "And watch him." Finn's eyes finally rested on Murphy. "You. Let's go."

"There's a poultice on his wound." Clarke stated.

"Medicine?" Wells frowned. "Why would they save his life just to string him up as live bait?"

"Because." I sighed. "The intention never was to kill him."

"Maybe what they're trying to catch likes its dinner to be breathing." Bellamy added.

Finn looked over at us. "Maybe what they're trying to catch is us." He looked over at Murphy, who was trying to cut Jasper down. "Hurry up, Murphy."

"Be careful." Clarke called anxiously from below.

An animalistic growl suddenly rang out, causing Murphy to ask that same stupid question. "What the hell was that?"

"A fucking dinosaur, what do you think?" I snapped, looking around to pinpoint where the sound came from.

Even Bellamy looked slightly afraid. "Grounders?" He suggested, his eyes darting around.

I shook my head. "No. That sounded like an animal."

I heard a low growl again and watched as a black panther prowled out of the bushes, ready to pounce. It paused for a second and then snarled, leaping at us.

"Bellamy, gun!" Clarke cried.

Bellamy quickly put his hand in his back pocket but the gun wasn't there.

"Where the hell is it?" I panicked, looking down at the grass to see if he had dropped it.

As if to answer my question, Wells started shooting at the animal - wounding it, but not killing it. He pushed Clarke behind him as the Panther disappeared. 

I heard rustling in the bushes and I whipped around, trying to locate the animal, but it was nowhere to be seen.

And then it all went silent.

I paused, stepping closer to Bellamy, who was watching the bushes for any sudden movement. Blood pounded in my ears, from yet another near death experience.

They say it comes in three's though.

I heard another loud growl and Bellamy grabbed my waist, pulling me down to the ground.

A shot rang out and the panther fell onto the grass with a thud. Wells clicked the gun again, but he was out of bullets.

Bellamy and I shared a look, both panting. My heartbeat started to return to normal again, but I was still in complete shock.

Wells dropped the gun.

Bellamy nodded at him. "Now she sees you."

~

"They're back!" Someone shouted as we headed into camp. Murmurs rose as people rushed over to us.

"Is he-" Monty started.

Clarke cut him off. "He's alive. I need boiled water and strips of cloth for bandage." She ordered.

Bellamy and Murphy set the panther down before Bellamy turned towards the crowd of people that had gathered. "Who's hungry?!" He yelled, receiving cheers as a response.

He pulled his sister into a side hug, before turning to me.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, um, fine. Thanks for saving my life. You know, twice."

His lips curled into a smirk. "I thought you didn't need me watching out for you."

I turned away, rolling my eyes. "Yeah whatever."

I then made my way into the dropship to help Clarke and Finn patch up Jasper.

After half an hour or so, we realised that there was nothing much more we could do for now, so we headed outside. My eyes widened when I noticed that people were actually lining up to get their wristbands taken off in exchange for food.

"He's stable for now." Clarke informed. "But without medicine-" she cut off, noticing what was happening. "They're taking off their wristbands for food. No way. I-I won't do it."

Finn shook his head. "You don't have to."

He walked over to Murphy and reached over to grab a stick of meat.

"Whoa, whoa. Wait, wait, wait." Murphy stopped him. "What, you think you play by different rules?"

"I thought there were no rules."

I couldn't wipe the smile off my face as I went to take my own piece of meat.

I smiled sweetly at Murphy who just scoffed and turned away.

Chuckling, I grabbed my food and then followed Finn and Clarke.

~

A/N

4 DAYS UNTIL SEASON 3 I'M SO EXCITED