01| We're Back

Life is too short as it is.

Mine was never that exciting to begin with anyway, but it was a lot more thrilling than being stuck inside an empty cell.

I sighed and leant my head back against the stone cold wall, drumming my nimble fingers on the floor.

I wish they'd just get it over with instead of keeping me cooped up in here until I'm eighteen.

Life is too short to live like this.

Suddenly, the door creaked open and an influx of light flooded in. I snapped my head in the direction of two guards.

"Prisoner 318, face the wall."

I did as I was told, turning towards the slab of concrete behind me.

"What's happening?"

"Quiet. Hold out your arm."

I shook my head, a mixture of confusion and panic taking over me. "What's going on?"

"Just do it."

"I'm not eighteen yet. You can't do anyth-"

A tight hand wrapped around my wrist and my arms were yanked behind me.

"Let me go!"

I was shoved out of the door where chaos awaited.

All I could hear were shouts filling the air.

"What is this? What's going on?"

I glanced over the railings, noticing how prisoners were being removed from their cells.

"Keep moving!"

"No."

I stopped dead in my tracks, overwhelmed by what was happening and very dizzy from all the shouts.

One of the guards pulled out a weapon, holding it threateningly. Without thinking, I swung my fist and hit him in the face.

And then I legged it.

I didn't get far before a tiny spike pricked my neck and my body fell heavily to the floor.

Everything became fuzzy.

And then dark.

~

I woke to murmurs and a rattling noise. Something jerked, causing me to fully come round.

My eyelids felt heavy as I lifted them open. At first everything was blurry, but then I managed to take in my surroundings.

I was strapped to a chair, as were many other people.

It looked like we were on a dropship.

"Hey."

I turned my head upon hearing my best friends voice. "Clarke? Oh my god, Clarke! Where are we?"

She didn't look that much different since I last saw her. Her hair was a little bit shorter, but that was about it.

I was caught between feeling absolutely relieved and happy that I finally got to see my best friend after all this time. But also incredibly nervous about what on earth was going on.

"Don't freak out-"

"Why would I fre-"

The lights flickered.

"Oh my god what was that?"

"Prisoners of The Ark" I looked up, noticing Chancellor Jaha on a TV screen. "Hear me now. You've been given a second chance. And as your Chancellor, it is my hope that you see this as not just a chance for you but a chance for all of us; indeed for mankind itself. We have no idea what is waiting for you down there. If the odds of survival were better, we would've sent others. Frankly, we're sending you because your crimes have made you expendable. Those crimes will be forgiven, your records wiped clean."