1

Hey guys, this is a short note but just to make my life easier please read chapter 0 for character descriptions and backgrounds so I don't have to repeat myself here. Also for Dylan's POV it will help if you have read Mind vs. Mate first to get a better understanding on how he became Alpha. Ok enough of me on with the story.

In my pack, nothing is handed to you but you have to earn it. Only after earning the pack's trust and showing them I was capable of running the pack did they agree to let me become their next Alpha. You would wonder why after all I was the only child of the Alpha and as tradition goes I inherited the title regardless of whether I was suited for the job or not. Well Noctis Insulam isn't your normal pack at least we were but not anymore because after years of being at war with the neighbouring pack's Alpha, Lionel Bridgestone, the pack was wary of handing the title over to a girl. And I couldn't even blame them constant attacks had made us suspicious of our own shadows but through hard training I was able to show them that regardless of my gender I ,Aria Knight, would die before letting Bridgestone takeover Noctis Insulam.

There was only a week left before my eighteenth birthday and being proclaimed Alpha. I punched what was left of the training dummy in the ruins of the old arena trying to harness my anger and fear towards it. I didn't fear Lionel but disappointing the pack. I stopped when I heard hurried footsteps coming towards my way. I took my fighting position ready to attack if it ended up to be a fighter from Bridgestone. As the person came into view I saw it was Sarah Aster. I relaxed seeing my friend and was surprised at how fast she was running plus the big smile on her face. Sarah had been living with us since she was seven. Her parents had been killed by Lionel right in front of her since then Sarah hasn't uttered a word and only communicates through notes. Out of breath Sarah waved a note that she had already written giving it to me excitedly. I took the note from her and read it.

He's dead.

"Dead! Who's dead?" I asked in shock. Then it registered the only person Sarah or anyone would be happy to see dead, Lionel.

"He's dead" I muttered out in disbelief. Sarah shook her head excitedly.

I grabbed Sarah by the hand and we ran together back home. Part of me couldn't believe it in all my eighteen years there was never a moment that anyone in our pack lived without fear of Lionel killing and taking over our pack. I burst through the front door of the pack house and ran towards my father's office. I rushed past the crowd that had already formed outside his office probably here to ask the same question I had. My father's beta Mark Cavanaugh, his son Scott, pack elder George, Philip Foster the pack messenger and a couple more people were huddled around my father.

"Is he really dead?" I asked my father

"Seems so" my father smiled and everyone cheered. Some cried while other rejoiced hugging each other in joy that it was finally over, the war was over.

"But how?" I asked

"Lionel was playing with fire and he got burnt. He waged war against two very powerful packs, the Red Moon Pack and the Midnight moon pack he didn't stand a chance" my dad explained.

"Alpha Jacob, but that means Richard will takeover after his father's death and he's equally if not worse a tyrant than Lionel was" asked George.

"Richard is dead too" my dad said

"What!" I said in disbelief

"He challenged the younger brother of the alpha of the Midnight Moon in an attempt to avenge Lionel's death but he got killed himself instead" dad explained

"Who's going to takeover the Bridgestone pack?' I asked

"The person who killed Richard, Dylan Black" my dad said "the people of Bridgestone have already accepted him with open arms"

"What else do you expect from those fickle Bridgestone mutts" spat George

"Rumour has it that Dylan has also decided to accept a bunch of rogues into the pack" my dad said to which everyone gasped.

"Yes and we've heard these rogues also used to do Lionel's dirty work" Mark Cavanaugh my dad's beta added

"This Dylan doesn't sound any better than Lionel" added Scott, Mark's son and my soon to be beta.

"Unless it affects us what the Bridgestone pack does is their business" dad reasoned

"Dad's right" I agreed "with Lionel gone we need to focus on rebuilding the pack for now and if Bridgestone becomes a threat again we know how to deal with them"

"Shouldn't we try to get an alliance with the Bridgestone pack?" Asked Philip the pack messenger.

"No!" I said firmly "the Bridgestone will never be an ally of Noctis Insulam they will keep their distance and we'll keep ours if ever they dare cross the line then they will pay the price"

The rest of the pack shouted aye in agreement. It didn't matter if Lionel was dead countless members of our pack were killed by members of the Bridgestone that were still alive. The tyrant might have died but his minions were equally as evil as him to agree to his every whim.

That night I sat by my windowsill hugging my knees, thinking about what was to happen next when Sarah came in and poked my elbow. During the war, it was a miracle my dad could keep the schools running so our kids wouldn't lack the education they needed but he wasn't able to help the kids with special needs like Sarah. There wasn't anyone available to teach her to sign but Sarah was smart enough to learn to read and write with little help outside school and used that to communicate with others.

Why aren't you happy? She wrote on her little notepad and tilted it slightly for me to read.

"I am happy that Lionel is finally dead but..." I said looking back towards the window "It scares me with Lionel we knew what we were facing but this new Alpha ,Dylan, he's more powerful and has stronger ties with powerful packs. What if I'm not capable of protecting the pack if he decides to attack?"

I have a feeling he's a nice guy Sarah wrote on her notepad

"What makes you think that?" I asked

He's nice to rogues and no one likes them so that means he has a kind heart. Don't worry : ).

"Let's just hope you're right" I said leaning my head back.