• Ch 29 Underneath Evergreen Trees •

Start from the beginning

"Not quite."

"I always knew she had it out for me."

"Yes, that is precisely why she's releasing you in two days."

I felt my jaw drop, and soon lift up into a grin. "Two days? As in, the day after tomorrow? On Friday?"

"That would be it."

"Severus Snape, you are a deity." I said, my grin only widening at the impact these words had on Severus's face. His black eyes shone with both shock and joy, and I wondered the last time someone had said something kind to him.

For one of the rare moments in his life, it seemed as though I had left Severus speechless.

"Really, though, how'd you convince Madam Pomfrey to release me? After last week, I thought I was going to be in here forever..."

"She was going to keep you in here to recover mentally, seeing as she's done all that can be done to treat your physical wounds—but I convinced her that your mental state was more at risk should you stay in here, and after the 'window incident', she agreed with me."

"You—er—you know about the window incident?" I asked abashedly, feeling my cheeks flush. The "window incident" referred to a sudden lapse in my sanity after Madam Pomfrey had clouded the windows. I wanted to look out the window, so I had rebelliously taken my wand and attempted to un-cloud a window—and incidentally blew out a large portion of the wall.

"Everyone knows about the window incident," said Severus with a smirk.

"Bloody brilliant," I mumbled.

"Wait, Friday—that's Valentine's Day. Isn't there a Hogsmeade trip after lessons? D'you think Madam Pomfrey will let me go on it?" I said.

"Why don't you ask her?" said Severus. Madam Pomfrey had just entered the Hospital Wing, most likely to give me another dosage of healing potion.

"Madam Pomfrey," I said in the sweetest voice I could muster as the Mediwitch approached my bed.

"Miss Kelly," Madam Pomfrey said in response, mocking my falsely-sweet tone.

"Professor Snape here was just telling me that you were planning on releasing me this Friday, and I remembered that Friday happens to be Valentine's Day, and ever-so conveniently a trip to Hogsmeade is scheduled as well..."

"And?"

"Well, I was wondering if I would be allowed on the trip?—I know about our agreement on not going outside, but I think it might really help with my mental state. Besides, I feel the need to pay my respects to Saint Valentine."

"As hesitant as I am to allow you outside in the snow again, I do think a Hogsmeade trip would do you some good..." said Madam Pomfrey. I crossed my fingers under my sheets as I awaited her decision. "Yes, you may go to Hogsmeade—"

"Thank—"

"—accompanied by a chaperone."

I considered this for a moment. Then, with a quick glance at Severus, I said, "Yes, all right, I'll agree to that. Thank you, Madam Pomfrey!"