• Ch 17 Fire Crabs & Fiancées •

The rumor that Severus Snape was gay died down after a few weeks, just in time for mid-year exams. He hadn't found out that I started the rumor; I didn't think he ever would. Around that time, a new rumor had spiked up- about me.

"I'm pregnant?" I said after Potions one day. Severus smirked. "Who's the father?" he said with a mischievous gleam in his eyes. I groaned. "Do I look pregnant?" I asked him. "Not at all." he said. "Who would say that I'm pregnant, then?"

"Probably some bloke who fancies you but is bitter because he knows it's wrong." he said. I narrowed my eyes. "It was you," I said. He laughed coldly. "Don't flatter yourself, Amarina. I don't fancy you." I felt my cheeks go red and my heart drop.

"I dunno, I haven't heard many different theories on who the father is. They all seem to agree on one," I said in attempt to regain my pride. Severus's face scrunched up in disgust.

With that satisfaction, I grabbed my bag and sang, "Good-bye, Severus," while exiting the classroom before he could think of a reply.

*   *   *

In spite of exams, Avery and I had done nothing yet with the mysterious Potions book, and Ava and I had not attempted to find out Cecil's secrets. The book's absence had not been noticed by Madam Pince; she probably assumed that it was yet another casualty of the fire. Everyone at Hogwarts was having a jolly time in anticipation of the break. That is, until the last exam day.

One Care of Magical Creatures student accidentally set loose a Fire Crab. While the class was still in shock, it ran into the castle and caused destruction along the hallways and in the classrooms whose doors were ajar. Finally, Professor Cecil stepped in and took care of it. However, once exams were over, the thought of leaving new friends settled in in everyone's minds.

"Be sure to send a letter!" Avery told me as we were walking out of our last exam. "It's only a few weeks," I laughed. However, I knew that I too was going to miss my friends during the break- it wasn't just the students I was going to miss, either.

"What're you doing for break?" I asked Severus the last night before break. "Stay here. Since Halloween, being a double-agent had proved much easier." "Of course it has, You-Know-Who's gone." "His followers aren't," Severus replied, "And there's a debate on that." "How could he still be alive?" I asked. Of all my exposure to magic, I knew that no spell could reawaken the dead. It's the first rule in the book. "There are many ways. Most through Dark magic." "Like what?"

"I can't tell you that. What kind of a professor would I be then?" "I'm not asking you as a professor, I'm asking you as a friend." Severus rolled his eyes, but nevertheless began listing ways in which You-Know-Who could live on.

Once he was done telling me about the Philosopher's Stone, I checked my watch. 03.27. I laughed. Severus gave me an odd look, though he had grown accustomed to my laughter at inappropriate times. "It's three in the morning," I explained. "Shall I escort you to your dorm?" he offered, sticking out his arm. "That'd be lovely," I said, placing my hand on his upper arm.

A third of the way there, we heard footsteps approaching us. Severus briskly walked away. The moonlight revealed one Argus Filch. "Well, well, well. Look who we have here." Severus stepped up from behind a wall. "Snape. Look who I found lurking about." Severus plastered a malicious smile across his face. "Miss Kelly. What a pleasant surprise. If you don't mind, Filch, I'll take care of this one." "Not at all," Filch said, walking away.

"I will have you expelled by morning. You wait until D-" "He's gone." Severus exhaled. "Great job," I said, "I can see why you're a double-agent." "Shh!" "Oh, c'mon, who's going to hear us?"

When we were walking down the halls, I kept sneaking glances at Severus. The moonlight shone on his black eyes, bringing out the specks of color in them. I considered using Legilimency on him. After all, he used it on me before... But he was probably much better at Occulmency than I was at Legilimency, and he promised he wouldn't use it on me- no, I decided, I'm not going to use Legilimency on him.

We arrived at the entrance to the common room before I could even make up my mind. "Good night, Amarina." he said. "G'night, Severus. Happy Christmas, if I don't see you tomorrow." I said, pulling out a box. "I'm sure you will. But, in case of the worst, happy Christmas." he replied, revealing a box of his own. We exchanged gifts, and went our separate ways. Once I got in my dorm, I had trouble falling asleep, having thoughts of what on Earth could have Severus gifted me.

*   *   *

I stepped off the train, looking around for my dad. Scanning the crowd, I saw many very diverse wizards, and finally- my dad! I ran up to him, and he engulfed me in a hug. "There's my Am! D'you need help with your bags?" "Please!" Once we had retrieved my bags, we walked to the car- an old- or rather, "antique", as my dad called it- buggy from the 60s.

"How's school?" he asked as we began the drive home. "I still wish you could come- it's fantastic! How've you been?" "Nothing new with me. Except..." "Except?" I asked. "I'm engaged."

"What? When did this happen? You leave a man for four months and he gets engaged?" My dad just laughed and said, "Not long after you left. I had to cater in Austria, and I was terribly lost when looking for the venue when I tripped with the appetizers in my hands. It spilled all over the woman passing me by, and we had a good laugh about. She showed me where it was, and helped me make more appetizers. A few months go by with letters, and I decided I couldn't go that long without seeing this woman. So I paid for her ticket to England, took her to this lovely spot, and proposed. You'll love her. She speaks English, so don't worry about that. Did I mention she's a doctor?"

"Dad, you're rambling." "Am I? Sorry."

After a few moments of silence, I spoke up again. "When do I get to meet her?" "Tonight, actually. What would you say to Chinese takeaway?"

"Sounds lovely."

We picked up the takeaway and were home before too long. I opened the door, and was greeted by my dad's fiancée.

"You must be Amarina! Your fasser has told me much about you. Forgive me, I'm Ella. Has your fasser already told you...?" I nodded. "Good! I can't vait to get to know you!" Ella was beautiful; I can see why my dad fell for her.

*   *   *

The three of us sat in the lounge, eating Chinese takeaway and telling stories. All dad seemed to focus on was Ella, though.

I was no longer my father's favorite girl, it seemed.

A/N: I cannot believe how many votes and views and comments this story has received so far- it's far more than I've ever imagined. So, thank you for reading, voting and commenting- it means more to me than I'm able to express in words.