• Ch 16 Rumors •

Once the rumor was decided, Ava and I went to the toilets where I had heard the gossip girls, and made sure we were overheard discussing Severus's sexuality.

Sure enough, within a few days, the talk of the school was that Severus Snape was gay and- a part that seems to have been added along the grapevine- that he fancied Professor Dumbledore.

* * *

"Miss Marshall, since you have such breaking news, would you share it with the class?" said Severus in Potions on Monday, after he had heard Avery giggling to her friend. "Oh, I was just asking Gwynn which surname you'd use when you get married."

I bit my knuckles to suppress my laughter. Severus looked truly dumbfounded. "What?" Gwynn, Avery's friend, piped in, "When you marry Professor Dumbledore. Will it be Dumbledore? Or Snape, or Dumblesnape, or-" The whole class burst out laughing at 'Dumblesnape'. "That's enough. I've no idea what you're rambling about, but twenty points from Gryffindor for such nonsense." Severus was red. As such, the remainder of Potions was silent.

When I handed in my vial, Severus whispered, "See me after class." So, when everyone was dismissed, I lingered behind, cleaning up my work area. Severus closed the door. "Dumblesnape?" he asked. I smiled, but didn't dare laugh. "Rumor has it that you're gay," I said. Severus raised his eyebrows. "And that you fancy Professor Dumbledore." At this, Severus covered his face in his hands. "How did they think that up? Do I seem gay?" he asked, exasperated.

I laughed, "Not in the slightest. Maybe if you cut your hair, though..." His hands flew to his long, greasy hair. "Joking!" "I'll be sacked by morning if Dumbledore gets wind of this," "Oh, c'mon, Severus, it's only a rumor. Professor Dumbledore probably already knows about the rumor, and is having a good laugh." Snape's eyes widened. "Besides, everyone will forget about it in a few weeks." His shoulders slackened a bit at this.

"Who would start such a rumor?" My heart started beating faster at this, and a little voice in my head said, "Me." I shrugged. "Probably some girl who fancies you but knows she doesn't stand a chance." Well, that wasn't a lie... I checked my watch. "It's already getting late. See you tomorrow, Severus!" "See you tomorrow," he called back as I was going through the door.

That was close, I thought.

A/N: I'm sorry for the extremely short chapters recently! I really have no excuse as to why they're so short. The next few chapters will be longer, though! Also, I may not update as often anymore because school starts next week for me! (Ugh- school.)