• Ch 13 Tension •

The next day I decided to confront Severus. I found him in the Potions classroom at around nine in the morning. It looked like he was grading potions. "Severus," I said. He looked up. "Good morning, Amarina. Would you care to help me grade potions?" I ignored his question and straight-up said it: "I know that you're a Death Eater."

He dropped the potion that was in his hand, spilling its contents all over the floor. The floor melted where the potion had spilled, and Severus swore. He got up from his chair and walked around his desk so that we were face-to-face. "Amarina, I can explain-" "Really? Why didn't you tell me?" He sighed. It looked like he was struggling to decide what he was going to say. "It isn't like that." "You're a Death Eater- there's nothing more to it." I said coldly.

"You didn't let me finish. I once was a Death Eater. But ever since I started working as a professor at Hogwarts, I've become a spy." "For You-Know-Who." I said, crossing my arms. "No! No, for Dumbledore." I ran my fingers through my hair. "I'm not sure if I believe you." "Do I seem like a Death Eater?" he asked. "You look like one." He sighed. "Not the point."

"Let's see... you called your friend a Mudblood, have a Dark Mark, despise Gryffindors, are cruel to all your students and you're a Slytherin. If all that isn't enough, you mysteriously disappeared the night the Potters and Longbottoms were attacked." I said coolly.

"You- you think I helped torture the Longbottoms? That I killed Lily? Or even Potter?" he said, sounding shocked. "I do. In fact, I'll bet you faked that I-fancy-Lily thing so people wouldn't dare think you killed her." That struck a nerve.

"Get- out." Severus said maliciously. I stayed rooted to the spot. "Get out!" he yelled, his face inches from mine. "If I leave, you'll make a run for it." I said, trying to sound confident. I could feel his breath on my face, and the tension was practically tangible. He narrowed his eyes at me, causing me to take a step back.

"Dumbledore trusts me." he said through gritted teeth. "Obviously. Why else would he let a Death Eater in the school?" He smirked victoriously. "I take it you trust me as well, then?" "Not in the slightest." Severus was seething at my refusal to trust him.

"What, do you think you're wiser than Dumbledore?" "I have no doubt of Dumbledore's wisdom. I have merely come to a realization that he surely did before me, and just hasn't confronted you yet." Severus's face was a bright red, and I don't believe I had ever seen him angrier. He tried to calm himself, so I continued.

"That's why Lily left you, remember? Because you're a Death Eater." He ignored me, but I could tell that he desperately wanted to go off on me. "Look at you, you're not even going to deny it. Coward." That had done it.

He grabbed me by the collar of my shirt, and I felt my feet lift off the ground. "I will not be called a coward by my own student." He then spat in my face, and released my shirt collar. I fell to the ground, and he stormed out of the classroom. I wiped my face with my shirt, got to my feet and followed him. I wasn't nearly finished with him.

* * *

"I see you two are having issues." Dumbledore said. Severus and I glared at each other. We were sat in the Headmaster's office after Severus caught me following him. "Miss Kelly, I can understand your anger, but I must vouch for Severus. I trust him, and you should do the same." I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself. "I need proof." Severus looked at me like I had just grown a second head. "Very well." Dumbledore said, "Severus?" Severus looked shocked to hear his own name. "Show Miss Kelly your patronus."

Severus looked annoyed. Nevertheless, he preformed the Patronus Charm. He was able to produce a full-corporal patronus, which took the form of a dragonfly. Both Dumbledore and Severus looked quite shocked when they saw the patronus. Once Severus say back down, Dumbledore said, "Patronuses can only be preformed by the purest of heart. Otherwise, maggots will shoot out of one's wand." I rolled my eyes at the corniness, but said, "Fine, I trust him." Severus smirked. "Go on." he said. I gritted my teeth.

"And I apologize for doubting you." His smirk grew even bigger. "What else?" "And you're not a coward." We left Dumbledore's office. Once we were out of the office, I said, "You seemed quite surprised to see the patronus yourself." He looked over at me, contemplating whether to be friendly or cold. "It usually takes the form of a doe." he said monotonously, and began to walk away.

"I believe you owe me amends as well." I called after him. Severus stopped and turned around. "I'm a professor, I needn't apologize to my students."

"But you do need to apologize to your... friends?" I said "friends" as more of a question, and looked up at him hopefully. I'd no idea why I still wanted to be friends with him, but once the words had escaped my lips I knew I daren't take them back.

"I apologize for spitting on your face." he said, and walked away swiftly. I smiled. Apologies from Severus Snape were even rarer than his laughter.