• Ch 10 Lucky Lily •

Things were falling apart between Severus and me. Or at least, that's what we led everyone to think.

"Miss Kelly, it seems as though you've put your potion on the stove for far too long. I'm afraid that this would induce vomiting, rather than prevent it." he said one day in Potions class, even though my potion was the best in the class. "Professor Snape, it seems as though your nose is far too big for your face. Have you considered plastic surgery?" I mocked, smirking. His face reddened. "Detention, Miss Kelly. See me after class." "Fine."

A Gryffindor girl leaned over to me and whispered, "Nice one! You've a lot of nerve for a Ravenclaw." "Thanks," I said. "I'm Avery, by the way." she said. "Amarina. Nice to meet you." I had gone to Hogwarts for five years already, but I wasn't one for meeting new people, so I'd really just stick with the girls in my dorm, and Noah.

After class, Severus and I had a fake argument until everyone was out of earshot. "You had to go for the nose?" he asked at once. "Well it is large..." I said. He sighed. "So do the other teachers know that we're 'arguing'?" I asked. He smirked. "They've placed bets on who's going to kill whom." We both laughed. The sound of Severus's laughter was something that most people didn't hear in their lifetime, and I was happy to be one of the few that did. I'd bet that his laughter could restore hearing in the deaf.

"I'm going to kill you, right?" He smirked. "Do you really think you could take me on, Miss Kelly?" I raised my eyebrows. "All I'll say is that you'd certainly better watch your back, Professor." I couldn't keep up the act, and burst out laughing.

"I nearly forgot," Severus said, hurriedly digging through one of his desk drawers. "What?" I smiled at his excitement. His eyes shone like those of little boy on Christmas morning. "Lily replied." "Of course she did! Let me read it!" I snatched the letter from Severus's hand. "Wait- I haven't read it yet!" he said, chasing me around the Potions room to get the letter back.

"'Dear Severus,'" I read in my best lovestruck-Lily impression, "'Your letter was very sweet.'" Severus tried to snatch the letter from me, but I ran away. "'Yes, my son's name is Harry. He's doing fine, thanks for asking. Enough with the small talk, though. You called me a Mudblood, multiple times-' you called her a Mudblood?"

Severus frowned. "It wasn't my best moment." He tried to take the letter, so I stood on top of a worktable, holding the letter out of his reach. I continued reading aloud. "'That it something that is unforgivable. But I have decided that it is unfair to forgive James and not you.'" I decided to have a little fun, so I said, "'In response to your love confession, I am married to James. But I do have feelings for you. Merlin, if James reads this... I love you, Sevvy, and am going to run away with you because James is a big idiot-'" "It does not say that!" Severus cut in, taking the letter. I laughed hysterically. "Did I at least have a good Lily impression?" "You couldn't be more off." he said, reading the letter. I rolled my eyes and said, "What does the letter really say?"

"Trying to snoop further into my personal life, Miss Kelly?" he sneered. I sighed. "So you're friends again," I said with a pang of jealousy. Severus looked up from the letter, noticing my tone. "Is everything alright?" "Divine." There was a hint of sadness in my voice that I couldn't control. "Miss Kelly, are you...jealous?" Severus asked, quite shocked. I sighed.

"I don't know...it's just...with you and Lily as friends again, I just don't want to be...replaced." I felt quite foolish saying those words aloud. His eyes widened. "No one has ever exhibited such a behavior towards me. Quite frankly, I don't believe I deserve to be felt about in such a way." My eyes glistened in pity. He felt as if he didn't deserve to be liked.

"I think you do," I said. Severus frowned at me. "When will you get it through that thick skull of yours that I've no choice but to be friends with you?" he said, ignoring my previous comment. I wasn't sure whether to take that as a compliment or an insult. It was Severus, so I went with compliment.

"I'm glad you're friends with Lily again." Was I, though? Lily sure was one lucky woman. I scolded myself for having such a thought, about a professor, of all people. Surely I wasn't beginning to fancy Severus?