• Ch 7 That's What Friends Are For •

It was Saturday morning, and everyone was asleep. I, however, was awoken by an owl. Who in their right mind would send me an owl at- I checked my watch- four in the morning?

As it turned out, Snape would. I rubbed my eyes and headed down to his office, not bothering to get dressed.

I entered Snape's office, and found him sitting in the exact place I'd left him. He had to have moved to send the owl, but it looked as though he had not slept all night.

"Miss Kelly. I see you were too lazy to dress." "Most people are asleep at four in the morning, sir. What did you wake me for?"

"Ten points from Ravenclaw for your cheek, Miss Kelly. I finished the letter to Lily." he said. "Alright, hand it to me so I can read it." He pulled a letter out of his desk and handed it to me. I unfolded it, and started reading.

I had to stop myself from smiling as I handed the letter back to Snape. It was quite odd seeing someone as cold and cruel as Snape care about someone so much. "Is it alright?" he asked. I detected the slightest bit of nervousness in his voice. "My heart melted at that!" I laughed. He scowled. "You dare mock me, Miss Kelly?" Snape said, venom dripping into his voice. "No Professor, I was being quite serious."

"Should I send it?" he asked, his voice now not as harsh as mere moments ago. "Yes! Right now! Run to the Owlery like there's no tomorrow!"

He strolled casually to the Owlery. Once we arrived there, Snape started to chicken out.

"I can't do this. She'll think me for a fool! "You won't know until you try. Besides, she might fancy you back. She might not ever know that you liked her if you don't send this letter!" I said forcefully. After the owl was sent out, Snape and I walked back to the castle, and I tried to make him tell me about Lily.

"What exactly happened between you two?" I asked softly. He sent me a glare. "That matter does not concern you, Mis Kelly." After a few moments of silence, I tried to make conversation again. "If you won't tell me about anything personal, what about Potions?" He looked slightly taken aback, but quickly regained his composure. He began to passionately tell me about his favorite potions to brew. I began musing Snape ending up happily-ever-after with Lily. "You aren't paying attention to a word I'm saying." Snape said. "What? Of course I am, you were just saying that you always crushed Sopophorous beans rather than cutting them." I said.

"Oh no..." he said, as if suddenly realizing something. "What?" I asked, cocking my head to the side a bit. "What made me think I had a chance with Lily?" he said, laughing darkly. I was slightly confused as to how Sopophoours beans reminded him of Lily. "Ah, of course you have a chance with her!" I said, patting his back. He flinched away. "You've-" I searched his person for something likable. Nothing about him was even remotely attractive, however, so I said, "-character." He arched an eyebrow. "Thanks." he said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

I pretended that he wasn't being sarcastic and said, "That's what friends are for, right?" He scrutinized my expression thoroughly, to see if I was joking in the slightest. "You sure are an odd one, Miss Kelly." he finally said with distaste.

When we arrived in front of the entrance to the Ravenclaw Common Room, Snape and I stopped walking. "Have a good night's rest, Amarina." he said. "Oh, so we're on first-name basis now?" I joked. "That's usually what friends call each other, by their first names?" He sounded as though he hadn't had much practice with friendship. I grinned. "Yes, I believe so. G'night...." "Severus." "Right. G'night, Severus."