• Ch 9 Just Friends •

A week went by, and Severus had been avoiding me ever since he sent the letter to Lily. I finally decided that enough was enough. In Potions on Friday, I purposely tripped and spilled my potion all over the floor. "Oh, Professor, I'm so sorry!" I apologized. Severus looked like he was about to explode, but took a big breath and, through gritted teeth, said, "It's- alright. I'll clean it up. Class, you are dismissed." he said as the bell sounded. "No, I insist, I'll clean it up." Severus looked like he wanted to argue, but didn't say anything.

Once all the students had left, Severus said, "I can clean up the rest, you may go. Thank you, Miss Kelly." "Miss Kelly"? What happened? I thought we were friends...

"Severus, what happened? You've been avoiding me all week and now you call me 'Miss Kelly'? I thought we were friends." Severus looked down, avoiding my eyes. "I've been busy." "Tell me what's going on." Severus raised an eyebrow. "Do you take pleasure in invading the privacy of others, Miss Kelly?" he sneered. "Only you, Severus." I said. He glared at me.

"I haven't received a reply from Lily yet," he said, his voice lacking even a hint of emotion. "You started avoiding me right after you sent the letter." Severus sighed.

"Don't laugh at what I'm about to tell you." "I won't ," I said. This was no time for sarcasm- I needed to know what was going on. "I've been avoiding you because other teachers seem suspicious of us." "Why?" I asked, not sure where he was going. "They think that something is going on between us...something more than friendship." he said. How can that be? He was only nice to me for one moment. I suppose he had been less harsh on me than on his other students for the past week.

"But there isn't." I said. "They don't know that. And if I have, or seem to have, any romantic relations to any of my students, I'll be sacked." "So, does this mean we can't be friends anymore?" I asked, my voice dropping. Though we had only had one moment of friendship, I quite liked being Severus's friend. He was an ill-mannered git, but I felt as though there was something more to him than what he exhibited. "It means that they can't know we're friends." he said. I smiled. "You are a Slytherin. So, Lily hasn't replied?" "No," said Severus. "It's only been a week, she might have not even got it yet." "You're right, I'm worried about nothing."

His black eyes met my gray ones. Some say eyes are windows to the soul, but that was not the case with Severus. All his eyes betrayed in that moment was a hint of curiosity.

Severus broke eye contact after a few minutes and said, "I just remembered- I'm supposed to meet Dumbledore." "When?" I said. He checked the clock behind his desk. "Five minutes! Good-bye!" he said frantically, taking off with a swish of his robes.

*   *   *

Later that day found Ava and I walking to the library to write essays. "Ava?" "Yeah?" "Earlier Severus said he had to meet Dumbledore soon, I'm not sure if it was an excuse or not." "Ooh, on a first-name basis now, are we?" Ava's eyebrows danced crazily. I cursed myself for using his first name. "Please, we're just friends." "Of course you are..."

"So, d'you think it was an excuse?" I repeated. "What were you doing before that?" she asked. I blushed, and said, "Well- er- oh my God," I suddenly realized something, "Was he using Legilimency?" "Um...Am?" "Mmm?" "I don't think he really had a meeting with Dumbledore yesterday."

"What makes you think that?" "Because, well, Dumbledore isn't here. He left yesterday and won't be back until tomorrow...had to go to the Ministry or something..." Ava informed. "So it was an excuse! But...why? Does he not like me?" "I think that's the problem. He likes you, as in like-likes you. He was afraid of what would happen, so he ran off." "There's only one small problem with that theory," "And what is that?" she asked, crossing her arms. "He's in love with Lily."

"But that's exactly why he was afraid! Guys can fancy two girls at the same time!" Ava exclaimed. "I think you're overreacting to the extreme, Av." I laughed. We entered the library and saw none other than Severus. "Hello, Professor." I greeted. Ava elbowed me, as if cautioning me. "Miss Kelly. I'll be on my way." he said hurriedly, then left.

"Meeting with Dumbledore my arse," I muttered. "I've already told you my theory." said Ava with a smirk plastered across her face. What if she's right? Does Severus think of me as more than a friend? No Amarina, you're being stupid. He loves Lily.

* * *

That evening found me outside Severus's office. I must have broken a record for how long a student saw a professor in a single day.

"Enter," his voice drawled from inside. When Severus saw it was me, he said, "Miss Kelly, can you not be away from me for two minutes?" I glared at him, and decided to get straight to the point.

"Severus, why were you using Legilimency on me earlier today?" He froze like a deer caught in headlights. "What are you talking about?" "When we were talking in your office, you definitely used Legilimency on me. Why?"

"Damn Ravenclaw," he said under his breath. "I wanted to know what you thought of me." "You could've just asked." I said, laughing. "Where would that have got me?" "Please don't use Legilimency on me again." I said. "I'll give you my word." "Not good enough. Pinky promise?" I asked, holding out my pinky. He rolled his eyes, but brought his pinky to mine and said sarcastically, "Pinky promise."

* * *

"So, what'd he say?" Ava asked when I entered our dorm. "Who?" "Professor Snape, don't play stupid." "He just wanted to know what I thought of him." "That's rich," Ava said. "For the last time, he doesn't fancy me." "Whatever you say..." she sang. When I glared at her, she said, "What? You're the only student in the whole school that's friends with Snape."

"Speaking of, professors are getting a bit suspicious of us so we can't be friends anymore. But we are anyway. In secret...don't tell anyone." "Oh, wow. You've yourself a secret boyfriend." Ava said, smirking. "You're never going to give that up, will you?" "Never," she smiled. I sighed. This girl was impossible.