Chapter 42

North

[4 months later]

Today was the last day of Allie's physical therapy and probably her last time seeing Alix. I'm happy that she got through it without being kicked out. After the first fight she had, I was a little scared that she'd get into more trouble, but ... she did a good job proving me wrong.

These past four months have been really smooth and and blissful. For once, work isn't stressing me out and its been really easy. Hector and I are on better terms ... for the most part. I still think he's just being nice because he really wants me to stay and he's having a hard time trying to find someone suitable for my position, still.

Allie and her memories have been recollecting at a nice pace. Maliah said people heal differently, some recover faster than others, but some may recover more. She remembers some important events in her life, like getting her tattoo license and getting that old apartment. She also remembers who she cheated on Alix with.

It happened one night when we were having sex and she sort of just stopped and looked at me in horror. I had a feeling that she remembered because it took her out of the mood pretty quickly. So I had to give her the we're only human and at least it happened early on talk again.

On the other hand, Helena and I have been meeting privately with the lawyer I hired for her and she had no choice, but to agree with moving in with Allie and I. She has nowhere else to go until we find a new place and get her into her own.

Allie and I have settled on a beach wedding and our honeymoon will be in Paris. I, of course, was the one who actually cared about the whole honeymoon ideal. Allie's words were I'm going to fuck you anywhere so it doesn't matter to me, might as well make it fancy.

"School ended for kindergarten and elementary." I said getting up from behind my desk.

"And what does that mean?" She asked taking off her shoes and laying down on the bed.

"It means that it's time. Your mother has everything she needs."

"Oh, yeah. She has to move in now ..."

I smiled and walked to the edge of the bed, "I think we had a good amount of time alone and to prepare ourselves mentally."

She groaned, "This sucks."

"It's definitely not going to be as bad as you think it is." I said.

"I just like when its me and you. Having anyone else around disrupts the flow, but finally that piece of shit will be without a family. In a jail cell."

I sit down, "Exactly."

"You know, I think I've matured as a person, a lot. Because I could've let my Mom rot. I could've held a grudge for the rest of my life if I really wanted too."

I nod in agreement, "And I couldn't be prouder."

"So when is she gonna lay down the court thing and restraining order?"

I shrugged, "Probably any moment now."

"So am I going with you? If we need to pick her up?"

I spoke plaintively, "You're definitely coming with me. So it won't be awkward."

"So I probably shouldn't take off my clothes."

I shook my head, "You probably shouldn't."

She sighed softly, "Hope she makes it out of there okay ... he could literally snap right then and there and stop her from leaving."