Chapter 27

Allie

"Where were you all night Jay!?"

"I was at work Helena! Don't start this bullshit with me now! I'm tired and I'm going to bed."

There's nothing, but darkness surrounding me. I can see through a crack, but I'm not sure if it's a door that's open or just something entirely different.

Their screaming is loud and agonizing. I know everything is amplified during a dream, but shit this is annoying.

"Bullshit you were at work! You're going to hang out with that girl aren't you!?"

"I may as well be since all you do is accuse me of cheating!"

"Because you are!"

"Prove it then!"

It gets quiet fast. I can hear my shaky breathing. Is this the millionth time they argued? Is this how things fell apart?

"Exactly," He said. "You can't."

"I know you are. My gut is on fucking fire about this!"

Slap.

I hear a loud thud, as if someone fell down to the floor.

"Do I have to do this every time you say stupid shit? Do I have to slap you around?" He said.

My stomach churns with disgust. I hope this never happened. I hope he never laid a hand on her and my fucked up mind is just messed up.

Suddenly he comes barging in my room and grabs my shoulders. I gasp in shock and fear. I hear loud screaming from the living room.

"Allie, Allie wake up!"

I feel my body being shook. I open my eyes quickly to see North hovering over me in her night gown. It's night time. The moon light is bright.

"What - What h-hap ..."

"You were breathing hard and tossing and turning like crazy. You woke me up." She said.

I rub my eyes and push myself up. North straddles me and holds my face. I look into her sleepy eyes that still look gorgeous. Her hair is a little kinky and she looks worried.

"Did you have a nightmare?" She asked.

I spoke quietly, "Jay ..."

"What about him?"

"He hit my Mom. He slapped her. She thought he was cheating and he came home late from work."

"Your father was hitting her?" She asked in with hint of disbelief.

I sighed in defeat, "I guess so."

"Are you okay?"

I shrugged, "I don't know."

She pushes my hair behind my ears and kisses my forehead. I'm just going to stick with the hope that, that dream wasn't a memory at all.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Close to three in the morning." She answered.

"I'm sorry I woke you up. I didn't know I was doing all that in my sleep. Hell I didn't even know you move in your sleep when you have a bad dream ... or whatever."

"It's okay. I know it wasn't on purpose."

"I love you." I said.

She smiled, "I love you too. Do you want to go back to bed?"

I frowned, not really wanting too, "Uh, I don't think I have a choice."

"I know. You're probably shaken up right now." She said.