A Vagabond's Tale (Fantasy) (COMPLETED)

Start from the beginning

Gigi pushed herself up onto wobbly legs and staggered to her skirt and belt. With the last of her strength her pulled them on and headed up the beach. Tree limbs drooped above her, spindly limbs brushing the top of her head as she trudged through the forest. Voices and laughter floated on the wind, dancing towards her, pulling her forward. She stumbled into a clearing.

Canvas tents circled large fires that blossomed in the evening light. The smell of wood and strong stew filled the air. Barefooted children with wild hair scampered after each other, leaving gales of laughter in their wake. A tall, young man with a tan face and messy brown hair trotted up to Gigi, his hands tucked into the pockets of his worn trousers. His blue eyes beamed with merriment.

"Gigi!" he said.

Gigi reached for his arm, gathering her strength as she leaned on him.

"Huck. Sailor. Ship wreck," Gigi said, struggling to catch her breath.

Without a word of response her cousin pelted away from her. Gigi took in another deep breath, calming her pounding heart. Huck returned, leading a horse, his face serious.

"Show me."

Gigi turned back to the forest. She felt her strength slowly returning as they pushed passed limbs and wound their way around large trunks. Long shadows stretched across the forest floor.  The shore came into view, the sailor's body outlined in the fading light.

"He alive?" Huck asked, as they stepped onto the sand.

Gigi nodded. Huck tossed the rope to her, and hurried toward the limp body. With a grunt he hoisted the man over to the horse's back, placing a steadying hand on him.

"Lead the way back. I'll see he doesn't fall," Huck said.

Gigi turned back to the trees, retracing their path. The day's heat was melting from the air, pushed aside by a cool evening breeze. As they moved back into the clearing, heads turned in their direction. Children raced up, curious eyes beaming out of round, dirty faces. A slender girl, with wispy blonde hair hurried to Huck's side.

"What's happened?" she asked.

Huck smiled at the girl and a deep blush raced across her cheeks.

"Sailor. Ship wreck," Gigi said. "Isabel go find my mother. Tell her what's happened. We're taking him to my tent."

With a last glance at Huck, the girl ran off in the direction of the largest fire. Gigi guided the horse through the city of tents, murmurs following them as children trailed behind. Gigi stopped outside one of the uniform tents and pulled the flap open.

Inside were two thin straw beds, stacks of worn, faded books and bundles of clothing. Huck lifted the sailor off the horse, taking a step back as the weight fell on him. Gigi waited as Huck passed her and released the flap.

"Lay him down. Careful," Gigi said.

Huck threw her a muted glare as he grunted and lowered the sailor down. Gigi knelt beside the unconscious figure, wiping clumps of wet hair away from his face. Huck brushed off his pants and eyed the sailor, crossing his arms.

"Are you sure he's a sailor?" Huck asked.

His clothes were tatters. Along his jaw was a week's worth of growth.

"What else would he be?" Gigi asked.

Huck shrugged, still eyeing the figure.

"He doesn't have the body of a sailor," Huck said.

Gigi gazed over the figure, taking in his toned, but narrow build and his long thin fingers. The sound of voices grew and footsteps pattered outside the tent. The flap was pulled open. Gigi's mother strode inside followed by her father. Her mother's willowy figure was dwarfed by her father's broad shoulders and tall stature. Light brown hair framed her mother's delicate features.