First Dates and Delayed Gratification pt. 2

KAT- 5:15pm
After going through the In N' Out drive-thru and grabbing our orders- since I requested to have it to go- Chase pulls back into the highway and starts driving.

"Mmmm, this smells so good." I bury my face into the paper bag and inhale its greasy goodness.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Eat!" Chase urges me.

I look at him sheepishly.

"Um... I was kinda hoping you'd pray with me," I say shyly.

"Pray?" Chase asks me, raising an eyebrow.

"Okay, don't laugh..." I begin, "So I've been raised a Christian, and since I was young, my parents have always taught me to pray before every meal, you know, for security. It's been a kind of habit that I haven't quite shaken-- not that I really plan to..."

When followed with silence, I shift my gaze back to his, watching him carefully.

"Is that also why you don't drink?" Chase connects the dots, asking.

"Yeah, but that's also kinda my choice, too. Kate drinks. In moderation." I explain. "Well, sometimes in moderation," I roll my eyes.

"So you want me to pray?" Chase asks, a little nervously.

"No, you don't have to pray, I can just do it aloud while you drive," I tell him, watching for his reaction.

"Okay."

"Yeah?" I ask, a smile creeping up.

Strangely, this actually means a lot to me and I'm glad he's agreeing to do this with me.

"Sure." He grins.

I close my eyes and offer a little prayer for our food. When I'm finished, I open my eyes to glance at Chase. I'm startled when I discover he's had his eyes on me the whole time.

"Geez-- Chase! Eyes on the road! How long have you been staring at me- are you trying to die today?" I curse at him.

He shakes his head, turning back to the highway.

"You are so damn adorable, Kat, I can't take it." He says.

I grin uncontrollably, getting the same floaty feeling in my head that I always do when I'm with him.

"Why, because I pray?" I ask timidly.

"Yeah, but also just because you're just... Kat. You know, because you're you." He says, turning to me again, "I mean, y-you're just so strong in your values and once you decide on something, you never let anything sway you or change your mind. I really respect that."

"Wow," his words take me by surprise, "thanks, Chase... That's very sweet."

"I mean it," Chase says.

I smile back happily at my meal, not knowing what else to say.

Whenever I'm with this guy, he gives me this warm feeling in my chest. But not like warm-bad, but warm-good. A very comfortable, pleasant feeling.