Say Something

Ding, dong.

Putting her law book down, Nicki paused for a moment, wondering if she was just hearing things.

She was home alone, in her parents' waterfront lake house she rented from them, studying for her bar exam in a couple of weeks.

Her best friend, Bree had just left. She'd came over to raid Nicki's closet as always.

At twenty-eight, Nicki felt she was doing well for herself. It had taken some time and all the patience in the world but she was finishing up her internship, graduating from Middleton University's prestigious online program and she had a job waiting for her at a well respected law office, once she passed the bar.

Ding, dong.

The bell went again and this time, Nicki stood from her desk in her home office and belted her silk robe as she walked towards the front of her home.

Not even bothering to look out of the peephole, Nicki pulled open the door, unexpecting the person who was standing on the other side of it. She couldn't even play off the gasp that left her mouth, she was beyond shocked to see him of all people, standing at her door.

After her mind registered who he was, her eyes hardened and she frowned. "What are you doing here? How did you even find me?" Nicki stood against the doorframe with the door at her side, in no attempt to invite him in.

"I came to see you, you going to make me stand out in the cold?" He gave her a charming smile and just like that, all of the hatred and resentment she'd built up for him was gone, had dissipated into thin air.

"Don't smile like that," Nicki crossed her arms over her chest and rolled her eyes.

"Why not?" Drake asked and circled his arms around her waist, ignoring the fact that she was straining against him, trying to get out of his hold.

"Because, you always pissing me off and then you smile, and it's hard to stay mad at you for long." Nicki admitted. After nearly eight years of being with him, he had never known that. When his smile got even more wider, Nicki shook her head, "I'm going to regret telling you that."

Sighing, Nicki pushed the door open a little wider and moved out of the way, allowing him to walk past and into her place. She closed the door and stood with her arms crossed over her chest and her back against the door.

"No kids?" He asked after turning to look at her. In the light of her home, he could finally see her and wow, she was more beautiful than he had remembered. Her full lips were formed into a pout and her naturally curly hair was clipped up and away from her face which was adorned with glasses.

"No," she answered quietly.

"I would've thought you'd have at least two by now." He commented.

"The real question is, how don't you have any?" She snapped back and he chuckled as he raised his hand to stroke his beard. Rolling her eyes in a huff, Nicki went back to her office without saying another word.

She didn't know why he had showed up to her door after nearly six years. He was disturbing her life. She had everything planned out and she knew he wasn't there for social hour being that it was nearing eight in the evening.

"Onika," she heard him call her name as she walked down the hall. She was too busy highlighting notes to answer so she didn't even look up when he walked into her office.

"What do you want Aubrey?" She finally asked and he took a deep breath.

"You." He answered smoothly and she chuckled while capping her marker. "What's funny?"