Next Lifetime (I)

"Are you gonna be here on time like you promised?" Nicki asked her boyfriend Jermaine who was too busy putting his Rolex on his wrist to make eye contact with her.

"Yeah. I said I was didn't I?" he paused to look at her and she sighed before pulling his pillow from his side of the bed over to hers and cuddling with it.

"If you don't wanna spend quality time with me, don't. You're acting like I'm a chore or something." she responded quietly.

"And what makes you think that?" he asked her and she shook her head before sitting up.

"J, you don't have to say it. I know it from your tone, the way you look at me...like I annoy you. If you don't wanna be with me just let me know. I don't wanna be lookin' stupid. Especially after all these years." Nicki explained, the angst all in her voice.

"Nic I'm sorry a'ight? I'm doing this shit for us, so we can have something. I'm out in the streets so you can have them fuckin' Prada bags that cost a leg and a arm. You feelin' like I'm neglecting you and shit is going a little bit overboard."

Nicki kissed her teeth and threw his pillow at him. "Overboard. Nigga you damn right you neglect me and don't act like I ever asked you for shit. We was together before you got in the streets and I stayed with you! You stay out all day and night, come home smellin' like bitches and wanna cop an attitude with me when I ask you about it. If asking you to be home on time for dinner is too much to ask then don't bother showing up." Nicki got up from their bed, walked in their bathroom and slammed the door behind herself.

Dramatic ass. Jermaine thought to himself before grabbing both of his cell phones and heading out.

Nicki tapped her foot impatiently. It was 7:44. He was supposed to be there at seven and she had gotten her hopes up.  She'd worked her ass off in the kitchen, making dinner for them and that was something she hardly did but she wanted to spend time with him.

She wasn't much of a cook before she met him but she did what she had to do to keep him happy and if that meant getting in the kitchen, even if she hated it, then that's what she did. But he was being ungrateful.

When he finally came in around ten -- which was early for him, Nicki was already in bed, asleep and when she woke up the next morning, he was already gone for the day. She knew what he was doing; he was avoiding her because he knew he was wrong. Three days went by before she laid eyes on him again and now she was more angry than she had been initially.

He came in their two bedroom home and when he found her in the laundry room, he wrapped his arms around her and kissed her neck and she shrugged him away. "What's wrong?" J asked her and she angrily stuffed the clothes in the washing machine and closed it, ignoring him. "Babe, my mans is coming down from Canada...all the way out here to Houston. He moving here, moving his empire and guess who he want to be a part of it?"

"I don't fucking care Jermaine." Nicki pushed him out of the laundry room and shut the door then locked it.

"Nic stop fucking playing." he twisted the knob back and forth, hoping it would open but of course it didn't.

"J just go! Go be with your money, your hoes, all your niggas...go be with them. You don't need me so fuck you."

"Oh that's how it is?" he asked and shortly after, he heard the door unlock and then the door opened.

"Yeah that's how it is nigga." she bumped past him with a basket of clean delicate laundry in her hands. She took the clothes upstairs to their bedroom, dumped them on the bed and began folding.

"Nic I'm sorry a'ight?" he looked at her to see if any sign of forgiveness was on her face and he was quickly disappointed.

"What do you want? What are you here kissing my ass for?" Nicki asked him and he sighed.