A Changed Man

"I love you." Drake said as he moved Nicki's hair from her face. They were laying in his bed after showering together. Their night had gone very unexpectedly but couldn't have ended any better.

"I love you too."

"Really? You don't think it's too soon?"

"No. It's what I feel."

He smiled. "You changed me in just the seven short months that I've known you."

She kissed him.

What had started out as a dinner meeting to discuss scheduling for renovations of one of Drake's clubs turned into much more and the pair found themselves whispering sweet nothings in each others ears while drifting off to sleep after an unbelievable night they shared together.

Seven Months Ago

Drake looked at the sleeping woman next to him and smirked. He stood up and went to the bathroom to relieve himself. After that he got in the shower to wash the night's work-out off of his body.

He was enjoying life as a bachelor, having a new woman every week. Of course he was always safe, but he got bored quickly so he changed women very often. They didn't mind either. Most of them only wanted him because of his financial status. He was a successful club owner and was heavily involved in real-estate. He had four clubs, each were a different kind. There was the wet bar, the club for partying, strip club and a poetry club. All of them brought in a lot of money which in turn brought in a lot of women and he loved it.

After his shower he dressed in sweats and a t-shirt and walked out of the hotel's bathroom.

He looked at the girl, trying to remember her name. Damn...I can't even remember. Oh. Jasmine."

He went over to his phone, scrolled to her name and deleted her number. It was routine for him and the women obviously didn't care.

He took the notepad that was on the bedside table and wrote a note.

I had a great night Jasmine. Thanks for keeping me company and showing me your new tricks. Here's a little token of my appreciation. (; See you around.

Drake

He left the note on the table and looked at her. She had rocked his world last night so she was worth every penny of the check he wrote out for her, knowing she was going to go shopping as soon as she saw how much he'd left her. He set the check on the table next to the note and got his stuff together. With one last look at Jasmine he left the hotel.

As usual, his week was hectic and strictly business. From eight to five, Monday through Friday he was in his office,booking people for shows, pulling strings, fixing last minute problems, scheduling meetings and ordering stuff for his clubs.

That Friday he had decided to visit his poetry club since he hadn't been there in a while. He sat in the back, enjoying the shows and sipping on a glass of Hennessy.

"Damn. Who is that?" he asked himself as the next poet went on stage. She stood about five two, long black hair and honey colored skin. She had a gorgeous smile and deep dimples.

"She's deep." he mumbled to himself after her set.
He flagged over a waitress and had her send over a glass of his finest stocked champagne to the young woman sitting at the bar.

"Compliments of the owner." the waitress placed the glass in front of Nicki and walked off.

Nicki took a sip of the drink. She liked it so she sipped on it as she watched the others on the stage.

Drake got up and went over to her just as he noticed she was about to leave. He had to have her.

"Hi, I'm Drake. The owner. You were great up there."

"Thanks. I appreciate it."

"You're welcome. So why are you here alone?"

"I just felt like sharing my feelings."

"You have some deep ass feelings. You can turn your poetry into songs."

"I'll keep that in mind next time." she gave him a smile.

"Next time? You'll be back?"

"Of course. Whenever I have something else to share."

"But until then, how will I get to see you?"

"Are you flirting?"

"No." he gave her a sheepish grin.

"You're lying."

"You don't have a number?"

"Nope." Nicki raised a perfectly arched brow at him and walked off.

Drake was swamped at work so on Monday morning he put a hiring add in the Greensheet and a sign in front of his office.

Tuesday afternoon there was a knock at his door. "Come in."

The secretary for the whole entire office entered his office.

"There's a young lady here to see about an open position as a personal assistant."

"Send her in."

Five minutes later Nicki walked in the office.

Drake was in the middle of a order confirmation on his phone when she sat down.

"No, why in the hell would I need new stripper poles in a poetry club? I need them downtown at the strip club."

Nicki tried to stifle a laugh.

"Thank you. Yeah. Okay. Bye." Drake hung up the phone and rubbed his temples.

He sighed and then looked up at Nicki. He immediately thought that her face looked familiar but couldn't place it.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" she asked.

"You look familiar."

She nodded her head in understanding.

"No number."

"Excuse me?"

"You performed at my poetry club and told me you didn't have a number."

"I'm sorry about that." Nicki apologized. "If you want me to go, I will."

"What? No. Why would I? Anyway, on to this interview. I just need someone to take my phone calls, meet with people at the clubs whenever I have deliveries, make sure shit gets done. Think you can handle that?"

"Of course."

"Good. You're hired. Your office is next door to mines. You start tomorrow, eight a.m."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome." he said as she left his office.