Chapter Sixteen (Unedited)

Walking into work, I am deliciously sore with a very satisfied smile on my face.  This afternoon had been the best of my life.  Even with all of the bullshit going on with Jason, I can’t stop thinking about Liam and the things he showed me, the things he made me feel.  We stayed up in my room for several hours, only taking a quick break to bring up some much needed water and snacks.  I can’t believe that I waited until I was twenty-two years old to experience such euphoria.  Well, maybe it had as much to do with the man as it did with sex. God, he was a man too.  Just thinking about his corded muscles and broad chest had me willing and ready. 
     Between our rendezvous, Liam and discussed some on the ‘babysitting’ that he and Mike were going to provide for me.  Since Liam and I are an item now, he will be with me in the public eye, the front man so-to-speak.  Mike is going to be filling in more in the background or the shadows.  He will be watching me from afar and looking for suspicous activity. When I am work though, they both will be in the bar with me, since it is their favorite place to hang out. Detective Briggs sent them both several pictures that were take of Jason over the years.  I sure hope that Briggs finds him soon. At least until then, I have Liam to keep me safe.

    I usually like a fast pass night, lots of tables and plenty of people.  Most waitresses like it for the tips.  I like it because the time flies. Tonight is not one of those nights.  No offense to Marv, but this is not my dream job.  I have still been putting out applications for a position in business management, but no bites.  I haven’t been able to secure a single interview.  It almost feels like I have been blackballed.
    I make another round at my tables, making sure all of my customers have fresh drinks.  My heart flutters when I catch Liam checking me out.  My eyes lock on his green ones.  We break contact when he gives me a sexy smirk and winks.  My face instantly heats up and I am sure that the red in my cheeks can be seen in the dim bar lights and I have to look away.  When I look up again, I want to throw up.  Sitting on Liam lap is Miranda.  My blood starts to boil as I glare at her and then my heart breaks when she plants a kiss on his mouth.  I snap my head to Mike and catch his eyes before I storm off in the break room.  How could I be so fucking stupid.  He truly is an ass hole  He saw me as a conquest.  I heard him even say to Mike this morning that I was a virgin.  Then I go and give it to him several times over that same afternoon.  I choke back a sob and clasp my hand over my mouth.
    “Hey darling, you okay?” Marv comes up to me with concern in his voice.

    “No...not really...I will be though.  Can...I take a...5 minute...break.” I manage to get out between labored breaths.

    “Darling, we are really slow tonight.  Why don’t you head home?  Give yourself a couple of minutes to calm down, take the rest of the night off.”  I am enveloped in a strong, steadying hug.

    “Ummm. Okay.  I think I will do just that.”  I whisper, my heart won’t let me speak any louder.

    After a few calming minutes, I grab my purse and car keys from my locker.  I think about going out through the bar, but I don’t want to see Ass Hole, nor that bitch Miranda.  I turn and head for the back exit.  I glance both ways into the parking lot before I make a run for my car.  I turn my cell phone off with a broken heart, I start my trek home.

                                   ***

    I am jolted awake in my bed when my door comes crashing open. “Oh, thank fuck you’re here.”  Liam scoops me up in his arms and I instantly melt into to body.  Then the reality of tonight came crashing down on me.  The knife twisting in my chest at his betrayal.  The humiliation of giving myself to him so completely, when I was nothing but a warm body to bury himself in. “No.” I place my hands on his chest and push him away a from me.  "You can't do that, not any more.” I cross my arms over my chest.  Hot tears sting my eyes, threaten to fall, but I will them to stay.  Not allowing Liam to see my vulnerability.