Chapter 4

Valeria

I stared at the man in front of me.

"I don't und-"
"You'll find out soon."

He brushed past me and left the room. I stepped out into the hall and began exploring the most beautiful Estate I've ever been in. It was the biggest and most elegant home I've ever been in. I made my way down the endless hallway and then came to stop at a gray oak door. I turned the knob and entered a room that was filled with photos of people who I assume are his family. The room is decorated in colors of grey and maroon. I make my way to the grand piano in the corner.

I sat on the comfy bench and softly touched the keys. My fingers grazed them and soon a tune formed. It was one of the few that my mom would play for me. I began humming the lullaby and then softly singing it. I was humming the rest until I heard the creaking of a floorboard. I turned around and saw Tony walking my way. He sat down next to me.

"That was beautiful. I didn't know you could play."
"How could you? I haven't seen you since we were kids. Tony, can you just tell me why I'm here and how I'm your fiance?"
"Val, I can't t-"
"Please."

His expression softened.

"Our engagement was sealed before we were even born. We were supposed to be the saviors of the feud between the Russians and Italians. We were supposed to end it. They chose us, Valeria. Alexei knew of this. That's why he married you, so the feud could continue."

"No, he loves me."
"No, he doesn't. Valeria, you know I'm right. You were married within a month of meeting him."
"He told me he loved me, so why wait? He married me because he loves me."
"And you think beating you is showing how he loves you?"
"How do you-"
"Albert is a spy. My spy. He watched you for me."

I looked at my hands. Is it true? No. No, Alexei loves me. Tony is just trying to get in my head.

"I don't believe you. I don't. I won't. I love my husband."

I left him on the bench and exited the room. I wandered down the halls until I came across a beautiful bay window with an even more beautiful view of a lake. I wanted to jump in it and just float away. I saw that the window was cracked open. I slid my fingers under the opening and attempted to pull it up. It was halfway up and I slid out of it, I began running through the nearby woods. I ran until I couldn't run anymore. I climbed onto the tallest tree I saw and rested there. I soon heard yelling and heavy footsteps.

"Find her!"

I gripped the tree tighter. I did a silent prayer in my head. I watched as they passed me.

I sat there for hours. I didn't hear Tony or his men again. I jumped from the tree and landed on my knees. As I was getting on my feet, A pair of arms were around me. I turned to see Victor. I hugged him and he lifted me off the ground. I began crying in his chest.

"Shh, princess it's alright. I'm gonna take you home. Alexei is a mess without you. We all are."
"Take me to him."
"You're not going anywhere."

We turned around to see Tony and his men with guns pointed towards us.