Chapter 3

Valeria

It's been 3 weeks since I was taken from my home. I miss Alexei. I mean sure he wasn't a picture-perfect husband, but he was my husband. He was mine. He was my first everything. The one person who I knew would be there at the end of the day.

"I'm back, Valeria. Miss me?"
"Not at all, but do you know who I miss? My husband. Why are you doing this?"
"He took something very important from me. He's gonna pay the price."
"And what did he take?"
"My parents. My fiancee. Everything that I've worked so hard for, he took it."

Guilt washed over me. I never thought about the families of the people Alexei would kill. I felt bad that Tony lost so much and my husband was the reason for it.

"I'm sorry, but how is keeping me hostage going to bring them back?"
"You're not a hostage."
"I'm tied down to a bed."

An emotion that I've never seen before shined in his eyes and then he began untying me.

"You're letting me go?"

He gazed into my eyes and I saw so many emotions in them. I could see all the pain in them.

"Not yet."

He pulled back the curtains and for the first time in a long time, I got to see the sky.

"You can go anywhere you want in this house, but you can not go outside. Ever. Unless you are with me."

I nodded my head. He dropped the rope on the floor and helped me up. My knees buckled and I fell in his arms. I looked up and saw him smiling down at me. I wrap my arms around his neck. He lifted me to my feet, but he didn't let go. We just stayed like that. He had the look of an innocent. How could Alexei take so much from him?

"Why did he kill your parents and fiancee?"
"I don't know. I don't think I will ever know. One thing that I do know is that he didn't kill my fiancee."
"What did he do with her?"
"He married her."

I stared back at the man in front of me. I am Alexei's first wife.

"That doesn't make sense."

"Valeria, you are my fiancee."