Love & Lies

~ Chapter Twenty Three ~

{ Love and Lies }

Ethan•

I awoke in the warmth of Melody's bed, he head draped on my shoulder as she slept soundly. Her heartbeat was comforting like an old lullaby. It was early in the morning , probably around seven.

After Melody , Luke , and I came back to their house we went up the roof and Luke went to bed. Melody and I, however , stayed up and talked. She had told me everything.

Everything that was on her mind these past few days, all about her dads office and the wolfsbane. All the bad things that happened had my heart hurting for her.

I stared at her somehow perfect face as she breathed deeply. I loved her little details.

Was her beauty that reeled me in? The mysterious, deep, color her eyes contained? Or her addictive smile, smell, or even her laugh? Her personality?

It was everything. Kind of cheesy for a guy but it was the complete and utter truth. She was lovely.

From in bed I could see out the window and I knew it was gonna be a better day. Last night I was a little buzzed and quite frankly, tired.

I slowly took my arm out from underneath Melody and carefully got off the warm bed, opening the window even though it was cold outside. The sun was beaming out rays of light that danced off the icicles and frost bitten trees. The sky was a beautiful shade of azure, showing that it hopefully wouldn't snow today. I was all so thankful that we didn't have school for another five or six days. Last night Melody had brought up wanting to visit Peyton at the Mental Institution, which I think I would drive her there when she wanted. I wasn't exactly comfortable with Peyton but I needed to be open minded and realize she didn't mean it.

I turned away from the window and laid back down by Melody's still body, my thumb gently caressing her soft cheek while she snored lightly. After a while I could hear footsteps up the stairs. Her dad must be coming up here to make sure she was in bed and not at a party. I got up as quietly and quickly and closed myself in the dark closet. I watched out the crack as he stepped in and kissed her forehead , setting a sticky note on her phone screen that was sitting out. If he only knew I had been in bed with her...

I came out if her closet cautiously and picked up the sticky note and read it ,

Melody ,

Ill be home in a few days, I'm flying to Nashville for a conference. Call me later.

- dad

I knew how she felt. Dad never being home? My dads been in Iraq for quite some time now. It's painful and scary, not knowing where he may be, but I cant mope around and be upset about it because my sisters need me. My mom is strong and can take care of herself but with age comes work.

I heard Melody stir in her sleep, I turned to se her stretching.

"Good morning love." my voice rasped.

"Good morning." she hugged me wearily around my abdomen.

I stood in her embrace for a few minutes, digging my face in her soft blonde hair.

"Lets go get some breakfast , aye?' I asked her. she nodded and yawned once more before we walked out her door.

"Wait! my dad!" she whispered loudly.

"He left this morning to Nashville." I said, she smiled but I knew it made her sad.

The house was cold and the sun was shining through the windows making the dust cling to the light, radiating sparkles. My eyes trailed to Melody, standing next to me staring out the front window. I wrapped my calloused hands around her and placed my head in the crook of her neck. I swear I could stand here forever. I loved her safety, I worried about her when she was home alone and I so badly wished to hold her.