Days Change

~Chapter Eleven~

~Days Change~

•Melody•

Ten of us sat in an empty classroom after being chosen by Mr.Morrow to be the dance committee this year. So I was stuck. But I didn't mind because it gave me something to do during my free periods.

The dance committee was small for such a big school but we were allowed to make people help.

The group consisted of five guys and five girls. The girls were Lily (she participated in everything) , this girl named Hanna, Talia, a freshman named Brittany, and me. I was sooo happy Maria Gateman backed out of the group.

We got lucky on the guys too. It was Ethan, JJ (whom was 6"5') , and two juniors named Kyle and Ty. And very unfortunately, Eli.

We already had everything planned out we just needed the Art and Acting teacher Miss Faven to assign jobs.

She walked in wearing her usual wacky outfit and earrings.

"I love you guys ideas! Probably the best." She smiled.

We all sat there waiting.

"I like to have opposite genders work together to build friend ship so,

Kyle, you will be with Brittany and you guys are working on carving pumpkins.

Ty, Lily and you are to make flyers in the printer room and hang them up.

JJ, Talia, you guys get to make spiders and creepy stuff like that.

Hanna, Eli, you both get to setup lights and the smoke machine. the black lights are in storage.

And Ethan, Melody and you guy to blow up over 100 balloons.

Have fun!" She laughed and sent us to our jobs. I was so relieved to be with Ethan. We sat in the library with helium tanks and purple, orange, and black balloons.

"Why do we need balloons?" I asked Ethan as I filled an orange balloon and tossed it across the room.

"Well I didn't go to last years dance but I guess they just put them everywhere. I only went Freshman year." He said and tossed a black balloon at me.

"That's boring." I said and decided we needed some fun. I turned my face away from Ethan and filled my lungs with helium. My voice sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks.

"We should make them drop from the ceiling!" I squeaked. Ethan burst into a fit of giggles.

"Good idea!" He squeaked back high pitched.

By the end of two hours we had about 107 balloons. We were counting and messing with helium.

"Stop laughing!" Ethan chirped. Which made me laugh even more.

-

Tuesday, Ethan and I met at the coffee shop and laughed at stupid videos on Vine and YouTube.

Wednesday, I actually ate dinner with my dad and my brother together. We made small talk and it was a very enjoyable night.

Thursday it took the dance committee two hours to pull all the balloons in and net and put it up on the rafters in the gym.

Friday I went to Luke's football practice for an hour and watched them all. Then something happened.

"Yo Melody! Come play!" Luke yelled. Coach McHatthen had a call to take and the guys were playing catch.

I loved football. I went down there and the guys were laughing.

"I bet I could throw farther than half of you."

That was a challenge. And when I threw farther than all of them except Luke, Ethan, and Carter, the team flipped out. I was getting pats on the back and cheers.

"You got a nice arm Montgomery." JJ said surprised.

Ethan gave me a huge hug in his sweaty warm up jersey.

"Now I believe you when you say you used to play Pop Warner." Ethan laughed. Everyone was telling Luke how cool I was and stuff.

My moms funeral was scheduled for this Sunday. Luke was driving me. Dad was in New York on another business trip. He left on his plane Friday night. Which pissed me off that he had absolutely no compassion towards my mom.

Sunday morning I woke up crying. Luke had a nice suit on our of dads closet. His face was grim and sad. I had on a blue dress with a black belt. My mom said that was her favorite dress.

Mom told me a few years ago that when she died she didn't want everyone to cry. She wanted everyone to drink wine and celebrate her life. And I told everyone on the invitations that. But I doubt it would happen.

I didn't make any attempt to put on makeup because tears would ruin it. The building we were in was nice. I helped decorate it. Pink Carnations were moms favorite so I put them on the tables and stuff.

People were whispering sadly as I walked up to her open mahogany coffin. Her eyes were closed and her hair was curled. She looked like sleeping beauty. She wore a long dark blue dress that covered all her scratches and her face looked calm. I touched her cold fingers and slipped a single rose through them. Tears began to fall as people made speeches and cried. The most devastating and depressing part was when they lowered her six feet down.

People did drink wine. But they didn't celebrate.

I felt bad for crying. My mom wouldn't have wanted me to cry. She would want me too be strong. But today wasn't that day. Luke hugged me tight as I bawled.

-

Chapter 11(:

I got some great ideas for the next chapter!!!

Anyway

Comment & Vote!

-Emily