Chapter 9: Lashing out

Start from the beginning

"No problem," I respond, "I'll go drop my stuff off at my station." I say, adjusting the strap of my bag on my shoulder, holding my own coffee in my other hand.

"Hurry, we have lots to do." She informs me and I nod.

When I return, Maia and I get to work. I notice she slowly starts to relax which makes me smile. At least she's not so moody anymore.

Maia eventually dismisses me to sort through fabrics so I set up at my station and go through the new shipment. A few stations away, I notice Savannah and Justin chatting away. More like Savannah talking and Justin listening with a bored expression on his face, if he was even listening at all.

I felt a little uncomfortable just being in the same room as him, knowing that he is actually Ms Mallette's son. I'm not sure why, but it felt like I knew something that I wasn't supposed to know about him even though I'm certain everyone was well aware of that detail.

His gaze suddenly focuses at my desk, catching me as I watched the two. Out of habit, I find myself instantly looking away, regretting the decision to even peer in his direction in the first place. Crap.

My stomach churns when I feel someone approach my desk, but I didn't lift my head up as I sorted through the fabrics. I already knew who it was.

"Why do you stare at me all the goddamn time?" He finally speaks up.

Ugh. I lift my head up from my work. "I don't stare at you all the time." 

Or do I? 

Uh oh.

He leans against the table behind him, allowing his arms to hold him up with the palms of his hands flat against the table. Today, he was dressed in a grey v neck sweater with the collar of his white button up sticking out. It was weird to see all his tattoos covered up and professional looking when he wasn't on set.

"Don't you have a photoshoot to do?" I ask, putting my focus back onto the work in front of me.

"No."

"Then why are you even here? Or dressed up like that for that matter?" I question. I've seen Justin outside of the fashion studio, specifically at the Marcello's where he apparently preforms with his band. He doesn't dress like this and to be honest, I thought he couldn't care less to try and make an impression here. Much less dress professionally at the studio. He just didn't seem like the type. 

"I always dress like this." He says through gritted teeth.

"Whatever you say."

I continue my work and hope he'll just leave, but he doesn't. He just stands there, watching. I feel uncomfortable under his harsh gaze, he was just too intimidating, even when he was dressed up like one of my uni professors.

"Justin!" Savannah's voice pipes up. Oh no.

The blonde girl approaches my station, placing a hand on Justin's shoulder to catch his attention. I notice how he instantly stiffens, as if he's refraining himself from shrugging her hand off. "You just walked off," She laughs, "I wanted to show you my designs!"

Justin finally does shrug off her hand. "That's okay."

"But I insist." She smiles, already pulling out her sketchbook to show him. I watch with my eyebrows raised as she flips through it and Justin glares down at her book and then at me when he notices the amusement in my eyes.

Savannah snaps her head up as if she's finally noticed me sitting there. Her eyes narrow into slits as she stares at me. "Can I help you?" Her tone is sharp.