Chapter 25

We all sat in utter silence as Ashling and Derek had a conversation in the hallway. All of us had moved down stairs to the living room, my friends and I on one couch and the wolves on the other. Octavia kept her eyes focused on her hands that lay in her lap, giving short quick glances at Miles. Troy on the other hand was not at all discrete; he stared at Desiret with lustful eyes that she returned with a cold glare that would send most men running with their tail tucked firmly between their legs which I had no doubt would soon be the position Troy would find himself in if he didn't back off. Troy inched closer to our couch and a loud growl erupted from my throat, even if Desiret could hold her own I wasn't about to back down either.

"You are to be the Luna of this pack, don't let other wolves disrespect you."  The Moon Goddess' voice floated inside my head, my ears the only ones to hear her wisdom. Troy moved again and I straightened up squaring off my shoulders. Troy mimicked my movements and I rose moving in front of Desiret. "Show your friends what they need to understand, have them believe in me and I will guide them, my sweet child you most show your power."  I caught sight of Troy's transformation before his wolf had taken me by surprise. I wrapped my hand around his throat pinning him to the wall.

Troy snapped and snarled in my grasp as he tried to fight his way out of my grasp. Troy began to cry out as the oxygen left his lungs, I felt Derek enter the room but he did nothing. He watched as I strangled his brother, he even prevented Octavia from interfering. They needed to feel it or they would never understand, they needed to feel like they were going to lose.

Derek, my Derek, his blood covering my hands. The car just couldn't move fast enough. Running but never being fast enough. Pounding in desperation, calling for help. Being afraid, being attacked, wishing only one person in the world was there. Being strapped down wondering if you would ever see them again. That was the mate bond, an over whelming feeling that couldn't be explained. There were no words that could perfectly describe that feeling; the terrible, fearful, exciting, and incredible feeling of needing one person.

Desiret's hand shot out gripping tight to my arm; she had worry in her eyes. I loosened my grip on Troy's throat and his body slid out of my glass, hitting the floor hard. His tail was tucked firmly between his tail and he panted for air. Desiret dropped to her knees and reached out her hand to the pile of fluff on the floor. Troy winced as her hand disappeared in his long fur. Desiret moved her hand slowly down his side and Troy's muscles relaxed at her gentle touch. I turned my attention to Derek, where I saw Miles standing in front of Octavia his arm held out shielding her from her brother.

"That is what the mate bond is; a feeling that can't be explained, but is very real. It is not some cult and isn't a belief, it a very real experience." Ashling shook her head and started laughing. I took a step back and looked at her side ways which was the reaction of everyone in the room.

"That was the best explanation I have ever seen and to think you weren't even born a wolf." She whipped away her tears of laughter as Derek shook his head. Ashling shrugged her shoulders at her son before smiling at me. "Well done Lauren, you are really growing and it appears becoming a proper Luna for this pack." The pack, a group of people that I have never met and who would soon look to me for leadership. How could I rule in a world I barely understood?

"Speaking of the pack I think it's finally time she meets them." Derek's voice sounded a little suspicious and before I could protest he threw his head back and let a blood curdling howl. He lowered his head and gave me one of his famous cocky smiles. God I hated it when he did that. "The pack is waiting to meet their Luna." I growled as Derek grabbed a hold of my hand and gestured to the door with the other. I took a step forward before looking back at my friends. "Give them time Lauren, they'll be alright here and besides Desiret will kick the ass of however gets out of line."

"I thought you didn't like Desiret." I cooed with a smile. Derek rolled his eyes at me then leaned down, his lips inches from my ear.

"I can respect her, but she won't know about, right?" His teeth grazed my earlobe causing my eyes widened and I pushed him away before I let out a moan. I rolled my eyes at him and he led me out of the house. How I dreaded the walk to wherever the pack was waiting for me. How many would there even be? What did they expect of me? What if they didn't accept me? Derek looked at me from the corner of his eye, he knew I was stressed. He squeezed my hand tightly and I gave him a weak smile in return.

Somewhere in the middle of the woods was a large building that resembled a theater. Derek led me into one of the door and up a small set of stairs. Oh god it was just like a theater and he expected me to walk on to a stage in room full of people. I stopped in my tracts and yanked my hand away from Derek. He walked slowly back toward me and he raised his hands slowly. I let him come near me, but mostly because I was too lost in worry to be afraid of him. He gently placed his hands on either side of my head and pulled my face to his chest. I listened to his heart beat and it allowed me to calm. "It's okay Lauren, you will be fine, I promise."

"What do I say? What do I do? I don't know what they want." Derek's hand traveled to my back and he rubbed soothing circles up and down the length of my back.

"I know, I'll do the talking and this is just a chance for them to see you, later when you have more time to prepare you will meet them again as their Luna. This is mostly to give the pack something to look forward to and to keep make sure the males keep their grubby hands off you." Derek still held me close and I never wanted this moment to end. He broke the embrace and locked eyes with me. "You can do this, just be calm and stay with me." He pulled me toward the stage once again and this time I didn't fight him. I held my head up high as the stage lights surrounded me in their bright glow. Howling arose as the pack rang out in enthusiasm. I smiled brightly at the packs exuberant reaction.

When Derek reached the center of the stage the voice went dead, showing their respect to their Alpha. They waited eagerly for him to speak. I saw some of the pack members in wolf form in the front wagging their tails happily. "As your Alpha I have failed you for a long time. I was supposed to find my mate when I was eighteen and for four years I have failed you. I had refused to take a mate and now I finally know why. I was waiting for the mate I didn't know existed and the great Moon Goddess has finally brought us together. This is my beautiful mate and your future Luna, Lauren." The pack erupted in howls again and Derek smiled proudly at me.

Suddenly one of the doors in the far back of the room burst open. Two people came in the door: one in human form the other bloody and bruised in wolf form. The whole room went quite in an instant. "Alpha, hunters are heading this way now and a lot of them."