Chapter 17

"I don't believe you." I spat into the phone causing everyone in the room to tense up, Derek more so than the others.

"Fine, then you can call him but he was in mood when he called me a minute ago. He wants to make sure if you need to, you can blow some guys head off. That doesn't really sound like Charlie, him being a cop in all, but certain situations can lead a man to do crazy things. Oh and by the way I heard you died. Now how did that exactly work since even I saw your dead body but then when I went to show Charlie there was a wolf in the morgue? Makes me wonder what kind of people you have been hanging out with."

"What are you getting at?" The phone was gripped tightly in my hand and I needed to make sure Nick was talking about Derek before I said anything stupid.

"Don't be stupid you know what I'm talking about, Derek and the rest of his retched family. Poor innocent Lauren was charmed by the big bad wolf and the demon condemned the maiden turning her with his lust and power till she too obeyed the full moon. My father told me that story when I was little and swore on his life that the human who changes into the beast is the key to everything."

"So what do you want?"

"I know you will protect your precious Derek so I have a proposition. I won't mess with your friends, or should I say pack, on one condition."

"What's the condition?"

"You come to the gun range everyday so that I can study you and she what exactly you unlock. There has never been anything like you before and I can sense that you are different from the normal beasts. Oh and just some quick advice telling Derek won't be a good idea because he won't let you go and then I'll have to kill him and just take you. Be smart Lauren and chose the easy way, you have one hour to get over here or I'm coming for you and your precious wolves." Nick hung up the phone leaving me shocked and confused. Derek had been too far away for him to have heard Nick.

"I forgot that I had to help Katy with a project at school, I need to go to school. I'll see you guys later." I quickly ran out of the house with my keys in hand before anyone could say anything. I pulled out of the driveway quickly and drove off before Derek could stop me. I pulled into the gun range and it felt like I was staring at my own personal hell, but I had to protect Derek and my friends. As soon as I got out of my truck Nick opened the door to the large rectangular building he called home.

"Smart girl; now follow me to a... training room." He didn't say anything else and just walked away. I took a deep breath and followed after him. My heart pounded in my chest as I followed Nick downstairs and through a maze of halls. We came to a large door and Nick took out keys to unlock it. "My dad had this room built when he first heard about you; well he didn't know it was going to be you, but what you did. He had everything set up for when he found you. Now I just have to complete the task of going through everything with you."

When the door opened I saw a room that would give anyone chills. In the middle was a medal chair with large steel restraints attached to it. Chains decorated the back wall and one big light hung over the horrid chair. Hospital equipment dotted the area around the chair. Knives and other objects used for cutting were laid out on a table. Strange liquids were in bottles on the counters and I couldn't even fathom what lay in the cabinets.

"Please sit in the chair and be still." I did as he said pushing past the fear that was consuming me. I had to do this if I wanted the ones I loved to stay safe. Nick locked my hands and feet in the restraints. "It's just a precaution since I have no idea how you will react to anything." He took one of the medical machines and hooked it up to my head and chest. "This will monitor your brain and heart responses to a stimulus I supply, first up the smell of wolf's bane."