Chapter 4

I woke up and stretched out my limbs. I had fallen asleep in my clothes again and I really needed to break that habit. I sat up on my bed and looked around my room. The window was open and I just kind of stared at it. Then I remembered that Derek had brought me home and came in the window. I looked next to me and then in the bathroom but Derek wasn't there. What the hell have you gotten yourself into Lauren? I walked to my window to close it but I stuck my head out to see how Derek had gotten up. It was a strait down drop to the ground, besides the little bit of roof from the porch, but it didn't have railings and there was nothing stacked up he could have gotten on. I know the window had been left open that day so that wasn't the problem. Whatever, I was probably just missing something.

After taking a shower I headed down stairs to see if Uncle was freaking. I couldn't find him but found a note on the fridge. You were asleep when I got home and I didn't want to wake you. I hope you had fun with Luke? I got a call from work and probably won't be home till it's late, so don't wait up for me. If you need anything just call my cell. Love Uncle Charlie. He hadn't found out that I left with Derek? Then again I don't think Luke would willingly spill the beans on what he did last night and I sure wasn't going to tell him his best friend's son was a creep.

I got my breakfasts and decided to take a walk after I had finished. I used to be on the track team at my old school so I decided I would run. I got on my shoes and ran down the street. A little ways away was a park and I thought I would check it out. My hair was up in a pony-tail and it swayed back and forth as I ran. When I rounded one of the corners I felt like someone was watching me. I pushed past the feeling and headed to the park where I was sure someone would be at. The park came into view as something ran up next to me from behind. I looked next to me and saw the black dog that I had hit with my car the other day. I stopped running and he jumped back and forth as if he wanted me to keep moving. "What are you doing silly boy? Do you want someone to run with you?" The dog jumped up high when I said 'run'.

I continued to the park and the dog stayed at pace with me. When we got to the park I looked down the straight sidewalk that went directly through it. Not many people where walking there so I took off down the sidewalk daring the dog to race me. I ran fast and the dog stayed right on my heels and ran past right as we got to the end. I sat down on a bench nearby and the dog laid under the bench. He was panting and I was breathing heavily. I loved running and I was one of the fastest members of my track team back home. The team was really sad when I told them I was leaving. We had won both the years I had been in high school and were hoping for another win this year, but I had to leave right before state.

"Hey, you're that girl that ran off with Derek!" I jumped; I hadn't been paying attention and had been lost in my thoughts. I looked up at a blond girl that looked like she had been running too. She sat down next to me and the dog stayed quite but moved to my side. "Oh my god is that your dog?"

"No, he just started following." I said calmly facing her.

"So are you like Derek's girlfriend or something?" She said tilting her head sideways.

"No"

"Are you going to be?"

"No," The dog next to me pricked up his ear and looked a me as if I was talking about him. I stared at the dog with confusion on my face. Maybe he belonged to Derek? No, that didn't work because Derek worked at the vet and would have taken him home before I got there.

"Well, I saw you running and I'm the captain of the track team and you have speed girl." She moved her head in a circle and I started laughing. She laughed with me and the dog laid down looking a little pissed off. "I'm Katy and I would love you on the team. You couldn't race this year but you could come with us to state to watch and start up next year."

"That sounds great but I'm not going to lie if you race against Dantlon High I'll be rooting for the other team."

"Was that your old school?"

"Yeah, I was on the track team there."

"So why did you leave?"

"Uhm... my family died and my Uncle is all I have left." I look down at my hands that were folded in my lap. I fought back the tears that were trying to surface. Katy wrapped her arms around my neck and I tensed up and looked at her sideways. I wasn't really big into hugs. Her phone began ringing and she let go of me. The dog put his paws on my lap and licked my face. Katy answered her phone.

"I'm sorry but I have to go. I hope I see you at school tomorrow." She jogged off and left me alone with the dog. I got up and ran off back home. The dog ran quietly at my side. I opened up the front door and walked to my room with the dog on my heels. I tore off my tank top that was covered in sweat. The dog sat on my bed and watched me change making me feel uncomfortable. I quickly put on some clothes and walked out of my room. I opened the front door and pushed the dog out. I really felt weird, the way he had watched me. I waited till the dog had left and then went out to my truck. I needed to find a job and headed into town to look for some help wanted signs. I found one at dog groomers in town. The groomer was right next to the vet's office. They hired me on the spot because they really needed employees and said I could start next weekend.

I walked around the streets and went into some of the shops. After coming out of one I ran into Arden. I smiled at him and told him I got a job next door to him. He went to walk away but I turned around to ask him one last question. "Who owns that dog, I saw him running around on the streets and what was his name."

"Oh, Derek's a stray." Derek rounded the corner just as Arden said his name. My eyes widened and Derek's flashed the same color blue as the dog. I turned around and ran as fast as I could down the street. I heard footsteps chasing after me and knew it was Derek's. He grabbed my arm and turned me around. "Get away from me!" I yelled attracting the eyes of everyone on the streets.

"Please let me explain." He tried to pull me to him and get me to calm down but I kept kicking and hitting at him. A cop car came around the corner and Derek looked at me with his dog like eyes. He let go of me and ran off into an ally. Uncle jumped out of the cop car and ran over to me.

"Did he hurt you?" Uncle shook me fiercely and all I could do was shake my head in response. He took me to the car and sat me in the passenger's side of the police car before taking me back to the police station.