Chapter 3

Uncle took me around town in his silver mustang. I had to admit it was pretty cool compared to my truck. We went out for lunch in some local restaurant that had amazing food. Uncle introduced me to everyone he new always saying 'Meet my little niece". I didn't get why he had to add the 'little' in that but he did it to everyone. We started to walk through the park when we met another one of Uncle's friends. "Hey Matt, come meet my little niece." Here we go again.

"Hey, Charlie I didn't know you were an Uncle." Matt came over with a boy about my age next to him and extended his hand to me. "Hi, I'm Matt and this is my son Luke."

"Lauren, it's nice to meet you." I smile at both of them even though I'm tiered and meeting people all day was starting to make me regret Uncle leaving his radio at home. I pulled out my phone to look at the time and read five p.m. Uncle was talking to Matt about what he was up to and so I decided to talk to Luke.

"Lauren you still like to dance right?" Uncle stopped his conversation to ask me. I shook my head in agreement not really knowing what his end game was. "Well there's this club that a bunch of the kids at the high school hang out at. Luke could take you while I talk to Matt. I think it would be great for you to go meet some people. Luke has a car so he can take you home." With that Luke took my hand and led me away as Matt and Uncle walked further away.

At the club I was deafened by the loud noise blaring out of the speakers but it was a pretty cool place. The walls were red and lights flashed from all direction. It reminded me of the raves I had gone to back home. I pulled Luke on to the dance floor and started dancing right in the middle of the floor. As I danced all my problems disappeared with each twist of my brown hair, nothing seemed to matter now. My parents faded from my mind and Derek left my thoughts. Fear of starting a new life vanished and was replaced by over whelming joy. Then Luke grabbed my hand and pulled me off dance floor. He took me to the bar where I ordered a diet soda.

"You know they don't check IDs here so you can get alcohol." Luke says over the music. I kept bobbing up and down to the beat of the music.

"I don't really like the taste of alcohol." I yelled over the music so he could hear me. I got my soda and chugged the whole thing so I could go dance again. Luke moved closer to me to tell me something. He moved the hair behind my ear and told me he wanted to show me something. From what Uncle had told me he had never had a problem with kids doing bad thing so I went with him as he walked to a darker part of the club. Uncle was wrong.

Once in the dark Luke threw me against the wall pushing his body on mine, trapping me in the dark. He went to kiss me and I was able to free one of my hands. I pushed hard up on his chin to stop him. He grabbed my hand making me cry out in pain. I yelled at him telling him to stop and leave me alone, but no one could hear me over the music. A hand grabbed Luke's shoulder and pulled him off me. Luke was thrown to the ground and I stayed hidden in the dark. The hand belonged to none other than Derek.

He got on top of Luke and started wailing on him. I saw the blood begin to splatter the floor and realized I had to do something. I went to grab Derek's arm but before I could he got off Luke and turned to me. I stepped back frightened of how fast he had moved, the music had stopped and all eyes were on the three of us. Derek extended his hand to me and I looked at Luke lying on the ground. He was crawling to his friends who where edging him to get away from Derek. No one came near Derek and I could tell they were too scared to. They had created a circle around us and all of them gawked and stared. Uncle told me to stay away from Derek and he shipped me off with Luke. That turned out well. I looked down at Derek's hand and decided to take it.

Everyone gasped and they all moved aside as Derek lead me right though the crowd and to the door. As we walked through all the people I grabbed Derek's hand with my other one too. He kept me close behind him and once we had passed, the people closed up behind us. There was no going back, in any sense. Uncle had said all the kids from my new high school would be there and they had all seen what I had done. Derek kept walking not letting go of my hand even when we were outside. It was dark out now and he took me across the street where a black Camero was parked. He went to the passenger side and opened the door. I let go of his hand and sat down in the car. He quickly made his way to the other side and got in. He turned on the car and took off out of there.

I didn't know where he was taking me and I was starting to rethink getting in the car with him, but I was too tiered to think much about it. I rested my head against the window and curled my feet up making my legs and stomach touch. This was definitely not the way I had planned my new life. Derek drove his car up on to a hill pulling off onto a dirt road. He stopped the car and just sat there looking out the front window. I move my gaze out the window and saw what he was looking at. Below us the whole town was lit up and the moon was rising behind it. I opened the door and stepped out into the cool air. I walked to the edge and looked down a sharp ledge. I took a step back and tilted my head back to enjoy the cool air. Derek got out of the car and sat down on the hood. I looked back to him and went to sit next to him. I put my hand behind me and looked up at the stars.

What was I doing, just a few hours ago I thought Derek was a total creep and wanted to be as far away from him as possible and here I was sitting on his car alone in the dark. The temperature was dropping and I soon began to shiver. Derek took off his leather jacket and gave it to me. I moved closer to him and wrapped my arm around his and rested my head on his shoulder. "We should go back and I need to get you home." He said putting his mouth on my forehead as if to kiss it but he left it there.

"I don't want to go home and don't want to deal with the real world." I buried my face into his neck and held on to him tightly. He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me on to his lap.

"People will talk and I'm pretty sure your Uncle's going to kill me." He stood up and carried me in his arm. I was too tired to resist and I let him put me back in the car. By the time he had made it to the other side of the car I had fallen asleep.

I heard a door close and I jumped awake. I was still groggy when Derek opened up the door on my side. I went to stand up and wobbled into him. He swept his hands under my legs and lifted me off the ground. He moved up to the house and was standing just below my bedroom window. I felt him jump and before I knew it we were in my room. I didn't know how we got there, but I was still half asleep so I just figured I had missed something. He laid me on the bed and covered me up with the covers. He went to leave but I grabbed his hand. He looked back down at me and sat on the edge of the bed stroking my back. "Stay," was all I managed to whisper but Derek understood. He laid down next to me and I curled up next to him. I drifted asleep listening to the sound of his breathing.