Chapter 8

Sorry for not posting in a while but I've been busy with school. I will try to post more often. Anyways here's the next chapter. Please rate and comment.

"Derek is he..." I didn't even half to finish when Derek shook his head in agreement. I walked back in to the living room thinking of something to do or say. The door opened and my heart stopped. Derek moved under the coffee table to make the situation easier and himself less noticeable.

"Whoa I thought you guys were coming next weekend?" Uncle said looking at Desiret and Miles. Great so he knew they were coming and didn't tell me. "Oh well, this is my friend Nick and he is the wildlife officer here in town. We have been getting reports of some dogs hanging in the woods and Nick believes that they may actually be wolves, so the police are working closely with him."

I eyed Nick the whole time and my eyes kept drifting to the gun. "Why does he have a gun?" I blurted out looking at Uncle and then Nick. Nick moved his jacket and looked at his gun.

"Good eye not many people have ever noticed and to answer your question it is just a precaution." He looked me in the eyes and must have seen something because he didn't end it there. "Have you ever seen a real wolf Lauren? They aren't exactly you everyday dog they can be quite aggressive and especially male wolves. When a big male wolf charges a person they don't stand a chance unless they have a gun."

"Well it's a good thing Lauren has seen a big male wolf." I turned to face Miles and I glared at him. "What you can't tell me that monster of a dog under your table isn't a wolf, he's huge." He opened his mouth to say something else but Desiret hit him in the side and glared at him with me. The great thing about Desiret was she always backed me up even if she had no clue why.

"Lauren what is he talking about we don't have a dog." Busted. I looked over at the table praying for some clue as to get out of this mess.

"Well actually he's my friend Katy's dog and I took him to the groomers today." I said convincingly because no one else questioned it. My phone in my back pocket went off and I pulled it out stepping into the hallway so no one could hear. I didn't recognize the number but I answered anyways.

"Hey it's Octavia, I'm really sorry if we overwhelmed you, we were all just really excited and don't worry about Troy we'll keep him on a short leash when you're round... well if you come back, not saying we don't want you to come back it's just you kind of snuck out of the house like a ninja which was awesome because no one has ever been able to sneak away from Derek like that." I just hung up the phone before she could say anything else, that girl could have rambled on forever if I hadn't hung up. How the hell did she get my number anyways, no one but Katy and Uncle had my number here. Well might as well make the call worth something.

"Hey that was Katy; she wants me to bring back her dog. I'll be back in a little bit." I walked out of the house with Derek following closely behind glaring at Miles the whole way out. Before I left I grabbed a jacket and tucked gym shorts in to hide them. I started walking down the street toward town. My truck was still at the groomers and I decided that was a good place to go since everyone expected me to be gone for a little while. Once out of sight of anyone who could see us, Derek turned to human form and I gave him the shorts making sure that I couldn't see anything in his lower zone.

"Sorry about Octavia she gets really excited when people come over." Derek said staring into my eyes as if searching for something.

"How did she get my number, it's not like you had it." Derek smiled and looked down at the ground.

"Octavia is really good at find out information on people; she's kind of a hacker." I turn and continued walking toward the dog groomers keeping my head down. If Octavia was a hacker what else could she have found out about me? The wind blew and I shivered moving my hands into my jacket pocket. Then I looked at Derek bear chested and only wearing the shorts I had given him.

"Are you cold, I'm freezing and I have a jacket on." Derek moved closer to me and wrapped his arm around me without missing a beat. I wish I could say the same because as soon as his arms touched me I tripped on the sidewalk bringing Derek down with me because I had latched on to his arm to try to prevent me from falling. Derek pulled me into him so that I landed right on top of him. I put my hands on his chest and pushed to get off of him but he grabbed my legs pulling them around him. "Really Derek, really?" He still had his back flat on the ground and he looked amused at my discomfort. I tried to move and only made it worse by sliding down from his stomach to his hips. I pushed at his hands but they didn't budge.

"What the hell is wrong with you kids this is a public side walk, people live around here!" I looked up in horror at the poor person who was taking out her garbage can and had caught us. "I have children and I almost sent them out here. Get out of here before I call the cops!" Derek hadn't moved since being caught but as soon as he heard the word 'cop' he jumped up with me still on him and drug me quickly down the street. Once around the corner he laughed looking back at the woman behind us.

"Now where were we?" Derek said in a low, lusting tone as he stepped closer to me.

"We weren't anywhere and you need to stop embarrassing me all the time. It's like you aren't even bothered by other people."

"I'm not bothered by anyone else because they don't mean anything to me but you mean everything so I will stop for you."

"Why did you have to say that?" I said under my breath, dropping my gaze to the floor and went to walk into town. Derek grabbed my arm and spun me around so I faced him.

"Because I meant it Lauren, you mean everything to me and I need you to understand that."

"I'm trying to but I don't know how? Nothing makes sense to me and I don't get this mate thing you're talking about. I barely know you and you barely know me, heck I thought you were a creep when I first met you. All I know is that everything has gone from bad to worse since I moved here and I hate it. I hate being afraid and I hate turning corners because I am terrified of what's waiting on the other side!" I crumbled to the ground as tears streamed my face. Derek grabbed my shoulders and pulled me up into a hug. He slid one of his hands down to my legs and scoped me up into his arms. I buried my face into the crook of his neck as he started running toward my truck. We were at my truck in no time which was relieving because with all our stops it had felt like a never ending battle to get it back.

"Call your Uncle and tell him you're staying at Katy's house, you're not going home."

"But my friends are in from out of town and they would want me to hang out with them. It wouldn't make sense if I bailed on my best friends to stay with a friend I just met."

"Well then make something up because you are not going back to that house with that guy hanging around you like a lost puppy." Derek spoke coldly and he clinched his hands into fists.

"Who are you to tell me what I'm going to do and leave Miles alone because the only mutt I see is you." I pushed out of his hold and walked to my truck. Derek moved quickly and blocked me from opening the door. "Get out of my way Derek; I'm done with these games."

"I'm so sorry for this." I went to say something but Derek moved his hands quickly pressing hard on a pressure point causing me to slip into darkness.