Chapter 22

"Derek I did something and I know you're not going to like it." I explained everything to him from the very begging. From the first phone call to my final escape, every lie I told and everything that I felt, and especially why I did it. Tears started flowing down my face and Derek did the best to comfort me, but I could tell he was angry. He pushed past his anger at me for lying and the already fueling one he had for Nick. How could I have been so stupid in believing that I was doing something useful, all I did was cause more problems. The only plus to this was that I knew everything Nick knew about me.

After the tears dried Derek picked me off the ground and we walked to his house together, his arm wrapped tightly around my waist. My head rested against his chest as we walked and I closed my eyes listening to his heart beat. It was faster than normal and I knew it was my fault. God how could I have been so stupid? When we walked inside the house it seemed like everyone froze and was staring at us.

"Go up stairs and take a shower, you have twigs in your hair and you smell like Nick." I flinched at Derek's cold words. He lightly pushed me away and turned to go back out the door. "Don't leave this house until I come back, I'll go get you a change of clothes." He shifted into his wolf and ran out of the house. Tears swelled in my eyes and I ran up the stairs as they began to stream down my face.

"Lauren, he didn't really mean anything by that." Octavia called after me trying to make me feel better, but nothing she could say would make me feel better. I deserve this, I lied to him and he was right to be angry with me. "Derek are you really just going to leave her like this?" Octavia was wasting her breath on the both of us.

Derek's POV:

How could she have been so stupid? She went with that monster willingly and he could have done anything he wanted to her. He burned her flesh and cut into soft skin like was dissecting a frog. Protecting me, protecting me from what, a parasitic vulture like Nick? I didn't need to be protected from him, I didn't need her protection.

The woods ended leaving only a street between me and her house. I was never letting her be alone again. She's not coming back here again. I shifted to human form and grabbed out the clothes I had stashed out in a hole in one of the trees. I dressed quickly and walked up to the side of the house. I eyed the window to Lauren's bedroom before backing up and running at the wall. At the last moment I kicked off the ground and grabbed on to the roof and pulling myself up in one smooth motion. I pulled the window up and slid inside like I had done so many times. I thought back to the first time I had slid in through that window. Lauren was cradled in my arms and she curled herself to my chest. I looked at her bed as I imagined her in it reaching out to grab my arm and whispering one of the sweetest things I heard from her lips, 'stay'. It seemed like ages since that night, when all she had to worry about was hormonal teenage boys.

I went to the closet and grabbed out her suitcases. I threw them on the bed and started opening all drawers and emptying the contents into the bags. I had everything almost packed up when someone opened the door. I froze and turned my head to see the intruder, or was that me. Both of Lauren's friends came in and stopped in their tracts when they saw me.

"What the hell are you doing with Lauren's suitcases?" The girl piped up glaring at me, Desiret I think. Miles was standing next to her and I nearly growled at him. Dam I really hated him. I decided to ignore them and continued to the closet to get the last little bit of clothes that were hanging there. Desiret moved in front of me blocking my path, she had guts I'd give her that. "I asked you a question."

"It's not your concern anymore now get out of my way." My eyes flashed blue, emphasizing my power, but still Desiret glared refusing to back down.

"She' is my best friend so I suggest you quite the controlling act and tell me what the hell is going on." Best friend, really let's see how well you know your best friend?

"Well did you know what your best friend was doing this week? Why she always looked terrible when she got home?" They both gave me blank looks and then glanced between themselves to check if the other had an idea of the angle I was getting at. "She's not going to school, she's been going to a man called Nick's house. Nick is a hunter; he kills wolves like us, like Lauren. He's been doing experiments on her to test her abilities. He was torturing her by burning her skin and cutting her to watch her bleed." Desiret took a step back as her mouth hung open and her eyes widened thinking of something to say. What could they say; we had all been so blind none of us had known.

"Why didn't she tell us, how do you know, why would she do that?" Miles asked frantically the words rolling off his tongue. Because of me, because she wanted to protect me. I couldn't tell them that, I glanced to the ground unable to meet their eyes anymore. I moved past Desiret and grabbed the remaining clothes from the closet. I put them in the suitcase and zipped them up.

"If you want to see her she is at my house and that is where she will stay till Nick's no longer a threat. It's too easy to get her here and I promise no trouble will come if you want to see her. Desiret can I see your phone I'll give you my number." She handed me her phone and I put in the number. I turned to Miles and glared at him one final time. "If you ever get my number, don't call me."

"Yeah well you better start teaching Lauren stuff because what happens if she you know turns all wolfy and you aren't there." He had a good point but I wasn't going to let him know that. I slid out of the house the two suitcases in hand.

"Why the hell did he go out of the window and what's his problem with me anyway?" I smirked as I heard his comment, dam he was stupid.

"That's just what he does or at least that's what Lauren told me." I walked to the street seeing my Camero parked along the street. Kara had already shifted and was running off home, thank god for mind links. I threw the bags in the trunk and then drove off towards home.

When I pulled up to the house everything seemed quite. Miles was right, I did need to teach Lauren to control her other half. I had been avoiding it for awhile because part of me wasn't sure if I could teach her, I wasn't sure she was like us. I took in a deep breath, pushing all of the negativity away. I got her suitcases out of the trunk and headed up stairs, prepare for a fight Derek she is not going to like that you went through her stuff. I opened my bedroom door and I could still hear the water of my shower running. I set the bags on the bed and went to my bathroom door. I knocked on the door and I heard the water turn off. "Lauren can I come in?" I heard shuffling in the bathroom so I tried the door but the handle didn't move, why the hell was the door locked? I was about to knock again when the door unlocked and Lauren opened the door a towel wrapped around her body. "Why was the door locked?"

"Because I was in the shower," She gave me a sideways look and I walked in making sure she hadn't been doing something else.

"Do you lock the bathroom door when your home?"

"No, but I know who's in my house when I'm home and no one will walk in on me. In case you didn't know this isn't my house."

"No one would be stupid enough to walk in on you let alone come in my room." Why would she think someone would actually come in here?

"Octavia would, Octavia did so I kicked her out and locked the door." That made a lot more sense, I had forgotten about Octavia's obsession with Lauren. I rubbed the back of my neck feeling bad about forgetting Octavia would do something like that, she had no personal boundaries.

"Sorry I kind of forgot about Octavia, I should really teach her some boundaries. Anyways I got you clothes from you house they're on the bed if you want to change, but you know I'm fine with you wearing nothing." I moved closer to her catching her arm and pulling her to me. I put my hand on the side of her neck and used my thumb to tilt her head up to me. I crashed my lips against her's as my other hand traveled up her body. Her hands wrapped around my neck and I pushed her against the wall. Derek you are supposed to be teaching her control not inviting her to your bed. Lauren pushed away breathing heavily. "Go get dressed preferably something you can move easily in." She stared at me blankly and then narrowed her eyes.

"Why," She was suspicious which made me smile, good don't just follow what people tell you.

"Miles said something that made sense, but if you tell him I said that I will deny the whole thing. I need to train you to control your new abilities that come with your wolf. So go get ready."