Chapter 24

I stomped into the house slamming the door behind me. How could he take me out there and not really know what the hell he was doing? Derek opened the front door followed by a very quite Octavia. I continued my angry walk up the stairs ignoring Derek's pleads for me to understand, seemed a little déjà vu. Ashling poked her head around the corner of the living room watching as I ascended the stairs with all the rage of a mad bull.

"Would now be a good time to tell you your friends are here?" Ashling asked as she studied me, prepared to back off if I showed any more agitation. I stopped in my tracks and whirled around on one of the many steps. Was she really talking about Desiret and Miles, how did they even know how to get here? I ran back down the stairs nearly taking Derek down as I blew past him. My friends, that is what I needed right now. My totally normal, non-stressing friends that always made me feel better, if I gave them the chance. I rounded the corner and found the best friends in the whole wide world sitting on the couch, Desiret ready to fight anyone who made me mad and Miles sitting uncomfortably on the big sofa.

I plopped down between them letting out a big sigh; I was slightly damp from my adventure in the wood and was wearing nothing but shorts and a sports bra. I closed my eyes taking solace in the presence of my friends. Then all hell broke loose in about three seconds. Octavia rounded the corner from the main hall freezing in her place. Troy came behind us from the game room that was at the back of the house and mimicked Octavia's reaction. Octavia was gawking at Miles and Troy was staring at Desiret. Then in almost perfect unison one word slipped from their lips, "Mate." What the holy hell?

Derek ran at the couch, hurtling over us, and slamming Troy against the wall right before he could grab Desiret. I grabbed both of my friends and pulled them out of the room. Octavia went to reach out for Miles but then re-coiled her hand. I pushed my friends up the stairs looking back at Octavia standing in the doorway watching us. "Just let me explain this to them, I trust you but I don't trust Troy. I'll get you when I know Miles isn't going to freak out like I did." Octavia nodded her head and focuses her gaze on the top of the stairs where her mate had disappeared from. I ran up the stairs quickly to collect my friend.

I pushed them inside Derek's room and locked the door. I heard loud clattering and things smashing as the struggle down stairs continued. Why the hell did it have to be Desiret? I let out deep breathe I didn't even know I was holding. Both of my friends looked thoroughly freaked out and now I had to be the one to tell me they just came face to face with destiny.

"Well guys this is going to sound really weird, but I guess it isn't as weird as seeing your friend die and then come back as four-legged, fluffy tailed animal." That was a really good point and they at least have had a little to deal with werewolves. "So there's this thing called a mate bond and well it's kind of like finding your soul mate, it's for werewolves but they can mate with humans which gets kind of complicated." God this was a going down like a train wreck. "Okay the short version is that Troy loves Desiret and Octavia loves Miles and they won't love anyone else like they do the two of you. I'm Derek's mate and that is why no matter how aggravating he is or how many times he pisses me off I will love him just as much."

"You mean to tell me that someone I never met before thinks that he loves me." Desiret's eye narrowed in skepticism. Oh how I wish this was easier.

"It's a feeling that werewolves get and they don't pick their mates. The Moon Goddess picks mates and I guess she really likes creating difficult parings."

"Moon Goddess, what is this some kind of cult? Lauren I think we need to take you home." Miles began moving toward the door about to unlock it. I moved in front of him pushing him away from the door. I large fist hit the door shaking the whole wall. Miles jumped back about five feet, ducking behind Desiret.

"Lauren, open this door or I swear to god I will rip you apart." Even through the door I could tell Troy's teeth were grinding together. Growling was heard as other people came up the stairs. Desiret pushed me aside and opened the door, well it was her mate to deal with but if touched her I would kill him. Troy was standing with his back to the door and Derek stood with Octavia on the stairs, their teeth bared as they growled at Troy. They noticed the door was open and everyone's attention was on Desiret. Troy whirled around to face her and she raised her hand punching him right in the face. Everyone froze as Troy's head snapped backward.