Chapter 14

Derek had taken me back home the same way we had left to go to the waterfall. He stopped right before the woods ended so that if anyone was up they wouldn't see a girl ridding a wolf out of the woods. He got me back up into my bedroom through the window and then left. I got dressed and then headed down stairs. Desiret and Miles were just getting up and I looked at the clock, eight o'clock. "Hey guys are you hungry?" They followed me into the kitchen and we raided the pantry. "So are you guys leaving today?" I asked as they came into the living room after getting ready.

"Yeah, we don't want to miss that much of school and you shouldn't either." Miles said cupping my face in his hands. I smiled at him thinking back before I moved. Things were so much simpler then. We sat around talking when there was a knock on the door. I went to open it and my friends followed behind me. I opened the door wide and froze when I saw Derek standing there. He was wearing a white t-shirt and his leather jacket. His hands were in his pocket and he smiled at me and then Desiret. "Who's this guy?" Miles asked with a tint of suspiciousness.

"Hi I'm Derek; it's nice to meet you." He said stepping inside the house. I stepped aside out of his way and continued to stare at him. What the heck was he doing? "So Lauren, are you going to introduce me to your friends or should I do it for you?"

"Uhm, this is Miles and Desiret." I felt so awkward and Desiret was glaring at him the whole time.

"So Derek how do you know Lauren?" Miles asked too oblivious for the obvious tension in the room.

"She hit me with her truck." He said calmly as if it was no big deal. My mouth dropped and if I could stare anymore I think my eyes would dry up and fall right out of my head. "Well I can't blame her; I did jump out without looking." Miles gawked at the two of us his mouth wide and gapping. Desiret's expression was similar to Miles.

"Derek what are you doing?" I whispered through my teeth. He just smiled at me and walked into the living room. Desiret walked up beside me and asked the same question. I just shook my head and followed Derek and Miles into the living room.

"So what are your plans for today?" Derek asked turning to face me and then looked at my other friends.

"Well my friends were leaving today so we'll probably be really busy." I tried to make it sound like there was no room in our plans for him.

"We're not busy and beside I want to get to know your friends here." Miles said crushing my dreams of Derek just leaving.

"Well how do you guys feel about ice skating?" Miles face lit up and mine went blank. I couldn't skate to save my life, so I hated it.

"We haven't been skating in forever. That's sounds like a great idea, let's go!" Miles ran outside and Desiret looked at me shrugging her shoulders before following Miles out. I groaned and looked at Derek.

"What are you doing?" He just smiled at me and threw his arm around my shoulders, leading me outside. His Camero was sitting in the driveway and both Desiret and Miles were hovering around it. All three of us loved Cameros and they had more of a love for them than I did. Miles looked back at his rusty old car and back at the Camero. His eyes then turned to me and Derek, Derek's arm still around me. He looked away quickly and got into his car waiting for Derek to lead the way. I knew he suspected we were together and I went to go talk to him. I felt so bad for him, but Derek held me in place.

"Let him go, he needs to get over it. He should know anyways." Derek was right, but I didn't want it to be like this. Desiret looked away from the Camero and at Miles in the car. She looked at me before getting to Miles car. I went to Derek's car and got in without a word. He went to the driver's side and pulled out of the driveway followed by Mile's car.

"Lauren, I'm sorry, but he will forgive you. So how about we get your mind of it, ask me a question, anything you want to know." He looked at me with a smile before looking back at the road.

"Can humans turn into werewolves?" I blurted out before I really thought about anything else. After saying it I actually thought it was a pretty good question. Derek looked at me out of the corner of his eye.

"No, you have to be born a werewolf. There is nothing that can be done to change someone."

"So have there been a lot of werewolves that mate with humans?"

"Yes, it happens often."

"So what happens when they have children? Will they be both?"

"No, they're not both. They always turn out werewolves, so if one parent is a werewolf the child will be a werewolf." Derek pulled into the parking lot of the ice skating ring and I was glad because I didn't really want to talk about that anymore. Miles parked next to us and we all got out of the cars. No one was in the parking lot and when we went inside the only person was the man at the front desk. The man left to get us our skate sizes and Derek and Miles started fighting over who was going to pay. The man came back and looked between Derek and Miles trying to figure out who he should take the money from. I pulled money out of my pocket and pushed in between the fighting boys. I took the man's hand and put my money in it silencing both Derek and Miles. We grabbed our skates and sat down to put them on.

"Don't ever do that again, I can pay for you." I heard Derek say from behind me.

"It's the twenty-first century Derek, women can pay for things." I had put on my skates and I stood up on wobbly legs. Derek stood up in his and steadied me. I felt Derek's hand slip into my back pocket and he leaned his head over my shoulder.

"You're not paying for us." He said flatly before kissing my cheek. I pushed him away and felt my pocket. Derek had given me the money he was going to use to pay the man at the front desk. I looked back and glared at him. I took a step on the ice and was surprised when I didn't immediately fall down. I skated out to the center still amazed I had not fallen. I looked back at my friends still by the entrance and not even on the ice yet. No one was looking at me and then I got an odd feeling. I had never felt it before and I felt the need to call out to Derek.

"Der..."

*****

Derek's POV:

I jerked my head towards Lauren and saw her standing in the center on the ice. Her mouth was open and her eyes full of fear and pain. Then I couldn't see anything in them. Her body fell to the floor and I saw the blood drip from her mouth and hit the icy floor. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion. Desiret screamed and my eyes traveled back to where Lauren had once been. Lana stood in her place, her hand dripping with blood. She saw my eyes fill with anger and she took off with me running straight to Lauren. I fell to the floor and saw the blood pouring out of Lauren's back. My eyes filled with tears as I picked up her limp body. I couldn't hear her heart beat, she was dead.

My eyes flashed to my wolf eyes and my head went back turning into a cold mournful howl. The howl turned into screams as the tears ran down my face. I could see Desiret and Miles running to us. I curled over her lifeless body and I looked at her eyes. There was no light in them anymore and I reached up closing her eyes. I set her back on the ice and stepped away so her friends could see her. They screamed and cried as they checked for a pulse. Miles tried to revive her but there was nothing to revive, Lauren was gone, my mate was dead.

I thought back to this morning and how she gleamed in the water. I remembered my hands running over her skin as we made love to each other and now she was lying on the cold ground. Her body was starting to lose color as her blood spread across the floor. I looked down at my hands covered in her blood and the same was for my shirt. Miles refused to give up on her and I could hear her bones break as he pounded on her chest. I turned and it took everything I had to make a step away from her. I walked away from her my heart dying with every step. Lana would pay for what she had done.

Author's Note:

Hey guys the story's not over yet and a new update will be coming very soon. Sorry I haven't updated in a while, but I have been working on other stories off of Wattpad and will hopefully post them soon. The problem with writing other stories is my writing ability has grown since I started writing Hit and I no longer find it good; however, I will finish the story for anyone who is still reading.