Chapter 23

I turned to Will. He was in the middle of the room. I crawled to him, not having the patience to try to get up, when I saw how bad he was. His face was swollen and bloody, his eyes half closed, trying to stay conscious, a fat lip and a bloody nose, and to top it all off his right arm was covered in dried blood as well as fresh. It had a gash that ran from his shoulder the middle of his forearm. It wasn't too deep but enough for him to have a scar later on when it healed. His head wound looked worse than it did before, more profound and swollen. The people at least had the decency to keep his legs untied and his arms tied in front. If the chair didn't have arms I think he would have fallen off it.

Will seemed out of it when I approached. He didn't make any sound or movement that suggested he knew I was there except for a quick glance of his eyes. I needed to get him out of there to help him get better faster. He was in no shape to walk very far with out help. So that limited my escape plans.

As far as I knew there were only two people on the floor. The normal guard and someone to make sure the normal guard did his job. I had a plan already to get out of the room but I had to change some things on the account of Will's condition.

I crawled around Will to lean my back on the chair. Slowly and careful not to make much noise I untied my bound hands and feet. I made sure that the guards could see me from my spot by sticking my foot out. There was no need for then to come in early. The rope slid off my feet. Two ropes came undone along with my original ropes on my hands. I had made sure I had two ropes on me in case I needed extras, now I did.

I put my plan in action. After I heard the door's peephole close I went to the door. I stayed on the far side of it so when it opened I'd be behind it. Time ticked by for a while until I heard the peephole open again. It stayed quiet for a while until the guard was freaking out about his prisoner. The other person told him to calm down. Footsteps approached the door then some more talking occurred. Then I heard what I wanted to hear, the lock.

The first guard came in then the second. I punched the first making him go down right away then the second turned to me. He saw me unbound and tried to run. Quickly I grabbed the back of his shirt and forced him back. I kneed him in the stomach before he could yell. He hunched over trying to breath. As he was hunched I brought my elbows down on his back. He hit the floor hard enough for me to hoped no one heard the sound down stairs. Now came the fun part, tying them up.

To tie them up I had to drag them to the center of the rooms someone could see them. Then I had to get them back-to-back. When I got one to sit up right the other would fall and vise versa. The frustration built and built until I almost screamed.

 Finally I got them up right enough to tie them together. I wrapped the rope around their chest up to their elbows. Individually I put a rope on their hands. One of the guys started to stir as I finished.

"Hey, if you would be so kind to open your mouth that would be great?" I asked. Noticing me the guy started to take a breath to yell. Quickly I shoved a cloth in to his mouth and tied it in the back. He couldn't move his mouth and no sound could escape. I did the same thing to the other one with more difficulty.

Will was in the chair still sitting. He seemed more aware when I walked up to him but still out of it. He still wasn't well enough to move on his own. I untied his hands and hosted him up. Surprisingly he was able to stand while leaning on me. 

Walking was going to be tricky. I managed to get him to take a few practice steps with me holding him up with my arm around his waist and his good arm around my neck. They were a bit fumbled but it was going to have to do.

I got him to the other side of the door before I stopped. I turned myself around and looked at the guard. He was glaring at me.

"Have fun," I whispered into the room before closing and locking the door. I made my way down the hall to the stairs. We were going to have a fun time with this.

I shook Will to try to wake him more. He turned to me and stared for a second before slouching his head again. I shook him again.

"You got to stay up for this one. I can't do this with out you up." I pleaded softly. Will seemed to understand as he shook his head to try to get up. He stopped abruptly probably from dizziness. "Let's go. Careful steps please." Little by little we went down the stairs together.

The stairs creaked a bit but it was not notice able as we neared the bottom. People rushed by but never looked at us; thankfully, they were too busy to bother. I shook Will one more time to try to get him as awake as much as possible before our escape through the back. I took a breath and timed for our decent of the last few steps. One last kid went by then we walked the rest of the way down.

I made quick steps trying to escape as fast as possible. The door was to my left. Using my body I opened it. As fast as I could I rushed Will out it. I used my foot to make sure it closed without a slam. We crossed the kitchen quickly then I did the same with that door.

We were finally outside but that didn't mean we were safe yet. I had to get us to the woods with out being seen to be safe. I took a quick glance to see if the coast was clear then walked as fast as I could with Will propped on me. We made it in the woods with a few seconds to spare. A boy ran past where we had just been.

I walked Will farther into the woods and laid him down by a fallen log before I went for my pack. Everything that was going to be needed was in there. I could stitch up Will with the needle and thread but I needed to get him somewhere safe. 

There was only one place that was close to us but I didn't think he would want us by so soon. He also was the only person close enough. We had no choice; we were going back to Pete's.

The pack was where I left it. It still had all the contents in it so I knew no one had come across it. I looked around to make sure no one saw me. When I did I saw Michael come out of the house. He was unharmed, had his reward in hand, and a big smile on his face. I was glad he had made it. Telling by his mood no one had figure out that we had escaped yet. They probably wouldn't notice until we were safely away. I gave a silent thanks to Michael as he left down the dirt path.

Quickly as I could I raced back to Will. He was trying so hard to stay awake while sitting there against the log. I made my presence known so he didn't worry. He looked my way as best he could. The best thing was for him to get some sleep but I had to get him out of here for that. I got him up with some difficulty and headed towards Pete's through the woods. It was the only place Will could get better.

We just had to make it there.