Chapter 21

My self-alarm went off inside me saying it was time to get up. Knowing that the market wouldn't get crowded for another few hours I stayed inside and did some simple exercises. As the noises picked up I readied myself for what I was about to do. I repacked whatever I needed and left what I didn't. The blanket stayed on the floor but the rest of my supplies were put back into the bag. I tried to eat one more time to find myself not hungry again.

As I finished I heard the most noise possible from the market. Knowing it was the perfect time I headed outside. I didn't want anyone to see me until I was in the market so I stayed casual and unnoticeable as possible. The crowd going to the market was big enough for me to follow it without being detected. 

Once a good distance away from the entrance I picked myself up and tried to be noticeable with out attracting too much attention. All I wanted to do was attract certain peoples' attention.

I walked up and down the market occasionally stopping to look at some sort of product. Closer to the pub I tried to blend back in incase the two guys were there. I didn't think they knew that I was associated with Will but I wasn't sure so I kept a safe distance away. I walked around the market after that trying to find someone that would try to follow me. Near the fruit stand I found the perfect person.

A boy seventeen of age was trying to pocket some money from a couple caught up in a heated argument with each other. He didn't look my way once so I tried to get his attention. No matter what I tried to do casually he never looked my way. 

I gave up casual and went with extreme. A middle age woman was next to me so I approached her. She didn't seem too interested in me but I made sure she paid attention to what I said.

As innocently as I could I notify her, "Excuse me Miss, but I was just shopping for my family when I noticed that boy over there. He seems to be acting suspiciously. Wait is that his hand full of money I see him taking?" I pointed to the boy. He had his hand in the purse of the husband. The women looked at the boy and gasped in surprise. I braced myself for what came next.

"Thief!" She screamed. Her right hand came up to her mouth in surprise while her other pointed to the boy. 

The victim of the pick pocketing turned around and tried to grab the boy. The boy looked my way once long enough before running through the crowd to escape the small group of men after him. I hoped he saw me standing there with a big smile on my face. It gave me pleasure to see him in trouble. Maybe the man from years ago was right, giving and helping others did make you feel good.

As fast as I could I wiped the smile off to turn to the women next to me. "Thank you, young man, for catching the thief in action. Thank you for notifying me before he took a lot from that man." I smiled like I was embarrassed.

"No I couldn't take the credit. My parents are the ones to thank. They raised me to be an honest person."

She smiled at me. "Tell your parent that they have raised a good boy."

"I will." I was about to leave when the man the boy pick pocketed came over.

"Thank you for trying to help me. Here is something for you help." He handed me a few coins.

To keep my good boy act in front of the woman I turned it away. "I can't take this. I did it because my parents would have wanted me to." The man pushed the money back to me.

"I won't take it back. Buy your self some food. You are a skinny lad if I ever seen one." I kept the money as he walked away. I said bye to the woman then left the market as well. I needed to find that boy.

My plan to lure the boy worked well. After two blocks away from the market he found me. He stepped in front of me as I walked along the road. 

"Why the hell did you do that? I almost had enough to buy a decent meal. You ruined my lunch." He complained.

I walked around him. "Didn't your parents teach you not to steal?" I taunted.

"You lousy little-" I turned to him hoping that he realized who I was. With the expression that I saw on his face either he just remembered something important or just figured out who I was. "You're the person..." I didn't let him finish. I raced away from him to get a head start. He pursued after me a good distance behind.

I kept up my little crusade until I thought he was certain I was the right person. Quickly I rounded a near by corner waiting for him just like I had for the other guy. Unlike the other time this guy came rushing around the corner. I punched him in face when I saw his body come around. The guy went down like a rock.

The guy didn't come around for a while so I waited for him. As he came to he started to struggle against the rope I used to tie him up in. I had gagged him too so no one came around to see what was up.

"Hey, the sleeper had finally come around. I've been sitting here for a while for you to wake up." I taunted. The boy struggled more in response. "You have to be quiet in order for me to take that out. I can't have anyone around hearing you. Can you do that?" He didn't answer. "A simple nod or shake of the head will suffice." Nothing. I took out my knife and started to play with it. I could see sweat come off his brow. "Let's try again. Will you be quiet?" I asked more sternly then before.

He nodded his head. I took off the gag. "Let me make you a deal. I won't hurt you as long as you cooperate." he nodded again. "Good. Now tell me, where is my friend?"

"Who?"

"The one that you guys took from my house."

"I never went to your house."

"Fine. If you found either my friend or me and were able to capture us where would you take us?" I got closer to his face with the knife.

"Umm... ahhh... there's an abandoned building north of here. Any one able to capture one of you was to take you there."

"Next question. Who took my friend? Who ordered the wanted signs above our heads?" I asked going away from his face.

"These three guys in a group, a big group, wanted you two, or at least you, for a rematch. They wanted to fight you or something to gain respect. I'm not sure on the details. Any one who finds you and brings you to the building gets a free meal or two."

"Are the three guys in charge of this gang or is someone else?"

"I'm not sure." He swallowed knowing that wasn't the answer. I wedged the knife in the wood beside him on the ground. "N- No they don't run the gang. Some older guy runs the gang I think. No one knows this guy for sure. Only the top people get to know who he is but sometimes they don't even know. That's the rumor. I swear. I just wanted food."

"Good no more questions." I said. The boy sighed in relief.

"So you'll let me go?" He asked hopeful.

"No I lied. I have one more question. How good of an actor are you?" He stared at me confused.