Chapter 9

The next day turned out the same as day before, so was the next day after that, and the next, and the next until days became weeks. Nothing changed much except the odd jobs I'd have Will do when I thought he needed a break or it got darker out. His ribs sill needed healing even if he wouldn't admit he was in pain. Will didn't seem to mind too much as long as he got to try to master pocket picking. 

For him not wanting to learn he was sure determined to figure it out. Any free time he had was either spent on figuring out how to snatch or testing on his theory. There were a few times he had asked for me to give him helpful advice but I'd just ignored him and kept on doing whatever I was up to. He had to learn to problem solve on his own or he'd never make it in this world.

On a cloudy afternoon I had left to borrow some food from a far off house. We had run low on food since I couldn't go out and get anything and my traps were coming up empty. I started to pillage nearby homes. It took me a good hour or so to go to a house, sneak in, grab food, sneak out, and get back home. This particular house had a dog guarding the food so it took a bit longer to distract it enough to get inside.

So I arrived back to the house with food in hand an a few scratches here and there from the friendly dog. I stopped at the door to adjust the rope of meat on my shoulder. No noise came from the door or the back yard. It didn't worry me as much as it had a few weeks ago, for Will often ended up taking short naps, but I was always wary just in case. Never could be too cautious.

I opened the door slowly ready to react to anything. Nothing seemed out of place as I walked through the kitchen towards the living room. I peeked into the living room to Will's space. There he was lying on the floor like many other days. Something seemed off though, as I got closer. I was almost right on top of Will when I realized he was smiling with his eyes closed.

I was about to nudge him with my foot when he said, "I did it. I got the sack off without a single bell ringing." Now he was looking at me. My eyes drifted towards the mannequin. Lying on the floor next to it was the sack. I was a little surprised he had got it already but I didn't show it. Instead I put on an indifferent look on my face. That seemed to hurt him.

"Let me see you do it right here right now. Proved to me you actually did it." I crossed my arms over my chest as he got to his feet. Slowly Will walked to the mannequin determination on his face. He was ready to show what he was made of.

He started off putting on a casual walk and acting like he wasn't about to do anything. He drifted closer to the mannequin until he was close enough to make it happen. One slow maneuver and he had the sack unlatched. His head was held high when he walked towards me.

I left my face blank while he gave me sack. I didn't say anything while I walked over to the mannequin, took of the belt and cloak, placed everything on myself, and walked back towards him. He glanced at my newly accounted outfit with confusion.

"Let me see you put your handy work to the test with a moving target. I'm your victim, rob me." I walked towards Will who just gave me a strange look.

"Come on a target won't wait for you to rob them. Don't worry I'll let you know if I feel you." I smiled inwardly. Will stood there. I motioned for him to walk towards me.

Seeing no other option he did. I looked around the room like I was looking for something in the market. Will strolled over to me and bumped me a bit to cover his tracks. He reached for my belt and I grabbed his wrist and twisted his arm until he was in submission.

Will gasped and grimaced by the pain I inflected. "You're not being careful try again."

He did this time he moved carefully before attacking and did everything right until he got the sack. The pressure released alerted me. Again I grabbed his arm and twisted.